The Bodyguard

Breaking News: Princess Chloe of Hillcrest is missing

Breaking News: Princess Chloe of Hillcrest is missing. Sources say the princess was last seen leaving a charity gala when five armed men in a black van ambushed the princess and her protection team.  No ransom demands have been made as of yet.

James sat hunched over the bar as the news continued to cover the story of the missing princess. As he continued to listen, he couldn't help but think of how wrong the whole thing sounded. How could a group of armed men ambush highly trained bodyguards at a well-protected event?

His phone vibrated in his pocket pulling him from his thoughts. He tossed back the remainder of his whiskey when he saw who was calling.

"I figured you'd call me eventually." He says as a greeting.

Alex huffs out a short laugh, "This shit is out of control, and I need new eyes on it ASAP."

James signals to the bartender for another drink as he props an elbow on the bar.

"What do you have so far?" He asks.

"Fucking nothing." Alex growls. "These sons of bitches knew what they were doing and left no fucking trace behind."

"And nothing was picked up on security footage?" James ponders.

Alex sighs, "There's one clip we got about five blocks south of where she was taken. It's not much but I'm confident it is the van. We haven't released that information yet to the public."

James nods as he tries to map out the escape route the hostages took. Something tells him this grainy footage may be a red herring, but he'll need to see it first. "When do you want me there?" He asks.

"Yesterday."

James chuckles, "I'll be there in an hour." He hangs up then throws a twenty-dollar bill on the bar. Shrugging his jacket on he pushes out the bar doors into the blinding sun.

When James arrives at Hillcrest manor he immediately picks up on the frantic buzz in the air. He rushes over to where Alex is standing hunched over a computer screen. His jaw is clenched so tight that it is at the risk of cracking.

"What's going on?" James asked.

Alex doesn't answer, instead he steps aside and shows James the computer screen.

A picture of Chole bound and gagged with today's newspaper and flashing across the screen the ransom amount for one hundred billion dollars.

"When was this sent?"

"About five minutes before you arrived." Alex answered.

James studies the photo, noticing the steel walls in the background. The hostages were smart in choosing a discreet background. But not smart enough for James. He immediately spots a pillar that is in the middle of the small window to the left of Chole.

"There." James points to the spot to Alex. Alex leans closer to inspect it as James continues talking. "There are only five warehouses along the coast that have this type of industrial structure. The same five warehouses that were later condemned because of the rising sea level. Odds are she has to be in one of them."