The Birthday

Layla

Layla

"Happy birthday, my love." I whisper in Tom's ear.

He smiles softly in his sleep.. I run the tip of my finger down the side of his face. Six years together and I still get butterflies in my stomach.

I kiss his cheek and then quietly slip out of bed to make his birthday breakfast. Padding  down the hall to where our four year old daughter is sleeping. She made me promise to wake her up before her daddy so she could help cook him breakfast. The minute Gracie was born she was instantly daddy's little girl and had Tom wrapped around her little finger.

After waking her up I dressed her in her special shirt. Gracie and I planned a full day for Tom's 43rd  birthday. Starting with breakfast in bed, then a movie on the couch, and for lunch a picnic in the park. After lunch we'll go to the ice cream shop and then head home so Tom can open his presents that Gracie made for him.

As Gracie and I start pulling out the ingredients for pancakes we turn on the music and sing along and dance. She helps mix the batter then watches from her seat on the counter as I pour the batter on the griddle. I feel arms around me as I flip over the pancakes.

"Daddy no!" Gracie whines.

Tom chuckles then kisses my cheek before scooping up Gracie into a hug.

"Morning my little love." He kisses her cheek then sets her back down.

"Daddy you can't be down here." She pouts at him while crossing her arms.

"Why not?" Tom asks.

Her chin quivers as she looks at me then back to Tom.

"Because we were taking pancakes to you."

"Aww I'm sorry little love but I was just so excited to see you this morning."

Gracie continues to pout as I place the pancakes on a separate plate.

"Gracie bug, is there something you want to tell daddy?" I remind her.

She gasps then smiles brightly. "Happy birthday, daddy!"

Tom chuckles and whisks her up to spin her around. "Thank you my love."

As he settles her on his hip he tips my chin up and kisses me softly on the lips.

"Happy birthday, love". I whisper.

"Thank you, darling."

I feel my cheeks turn pink at the endearment. Every time he calls me darling I always blush. I hope it never ends.

"Breakfast is almost ready, why don't you help Gracie with the plates. She wanted to set the table by herself." I said.
He laughs as he  takes Gracie to the dining table.

Once everything is settled we dig in and Gracie tells Tom all about what we have planned for him today. I sit quietly as I wait for Tom to notice the special shirt Gracie is wearing. Tom isn't the best at noticing small details right away which makes it all the better when he does finally notice.

Best big sister.

Tom's eyes widen the minute he notices her shirt then he whips his gaze to mine.

I nod once and he's pushing his chair back and hauling me into his arms.

"This is the best birthday present ever."

I sniffle as I bury my head in the crook of his neck. We've been trying to get pregnant a year after Gracie was born with no luck. With each negative pregnancy test we lost a little faith each time. But when I secretly took a test two weeks ago and saw the double lines I knew it would be the perfect present for Tom.

"I love you so much, Layla." Tom says as he kisses the top of my head.

"I love you more."

He chuckles, "Not possible."

Gracie pulls our attention away when she squeezes herself in between us. Clearly jealous that she is not a part of this hug.

With Gracie in his arms he pulls us all together. And this is exactly where we are meant to be. The three of us plus the little baby growing inside of me.

A wonderful birthday well spent.

———————————————————————
Short and sweet for the birthday man.

Happy birthday, Tom.

43 and still handsome. 🩵

 🩵