5 - Surfacing

"People of Numenara...this is Governor Moore speaking. Stay inside your homes, we are aware of the terrorist threat. Do not trust any of the recent "visitors"."

Pictures of Pariah, Dexter, Camille, and Dr. Mitchell appear all around the various districts of the City. They were criminals.

In the Slums district, the poorest district in Numenara, a crack forms in the ground, at a small park.

Pariah climbs her way out of it.

"It's clear." She says, standing up in the small park.

Mitchell climbs up after her, helping Rosetta up. It was her first time in the City in fifteen something years.

But time isn't relevant in Numenara, so who knows for sure?

After Rosetta, her people, not monsters, began to climb up as well. As they reached the hundreds, they began crowding into a nearby building.

As the last of the people went inside, Rosetta noticed something, and she taps Pariah on the shoulder.

"Where is everybody?" She asks her.

Pariah looks at the street Rosetta was looking at, and it was entirely empty.

"Maybe everyone is asleep?"

Rosetta walks onto the street and looks down both ways, out of a large window to the aquatic environment, she still sees the glow of the Lightfish peering in.

"It's day time."

Pariah walks over to her on the street. They both look around quietly, seeing people watching them from their windows.

"What's going on?"

Pariah sees Mitchell in the corner of her eye.

"Take a look at this." He holds a newly printed wanted poster with his and Pariah's faces, as well as Dexter and Camille.

Well, he didn't have a known face, so it just showed his helmet full of stars.

"What the hell? What did we do?"

"Who's the Governor of this place now?" Rosetta asks.

"A man named Moore."

"That bastard. I'm going to have a word with him."

"Ma'am wait." Pariah grabs her by the arm.

"What."

"The Force would probably react to you the same way us, we might as well come with you."

The Force was the police division of Numenara.

They both hear Mitchell sigh.

"What?"

"I have places to be, Pariah. I was already overdue."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes, actually. A Prime Ghost of Time is a busy man."

Pariah makes the meanest of faces at him.

"You'll see me again...I just..have things to take care of first."

"What kind of things?!"

"Things like whispers that have to be silenced. You wouldn't get it."

A Wormhole opens behind him, and he steps in, it closing after.

"Shit." Pariah kicks the ground.

"Forget about him, let's go. Do you have a gun I can borrow?"

Pariah pulls out a sidearm. It was all she had.