Trust and Turmoil

Keefe

Keefe stared at the team. The Black Swan. Teammates were meant to lean on each other. Trust each other. But somehow, Keefe didn't trust them. Or want to lean on them. Especially Dex and Biana. Keefe felt as if someone punched him in the gut as soon as the two took off their masks. Even after what Biana said, it felt hard to let things go. But he should, right? After all, they were in the Neverseen too.

Tam kept staring at Keefe. Not in a weird way. More of a what's going on tell me right now kind of way, and as much as Keefe wanted to do that, he also didn't want to confide in him right now.

Keefe tried to be his joking self. Talking hair styles with Biana, planning pranks with Dex, glaring at Marella, and... trying to ignore Tam. Why? Even Keefe wasn't sure. He wasn't even sure why he was mad at Marella. After all, it wasn't her fault that Tam always complimented her control over her ability. Or that he seemed happier when she laughed. Or that he felt a little giggly every time Tam smiled or rolled his eyes or playfully nudged him. Wait, what? Giggly? Keefe? With Tam? Did Keefe...

WOAH, WOAH, BACK THE T-REX UP. Let's not go there. Nope. Keefe folded his arms and turned away. And yet, he was still considering it. Why did everything have to be so hard? And why did Tam have to be so... UGH. Amazing. As much as he hated to admit it, Tam really did pull of the silver tipped bangs...

The rest of the Black Swan were chatting, getting to know each other. Asking about their lives before being in the Neverseen.

"Well, I went to Foxfire, the elves' most prestigious school, along with Dex." Biana said. "I had a brother. His name was Fitz Vacker."

Keefe's heart both sunk and leapt at the mention of the other teal eyed Vacker. Tam stared at him once again, probably wondering why the name seemed to mean so much to Keefe. Keefe was trying to ignore him.

"And... he had a girlfriend. Or has. I don't know anymore." Biana shook her head. "Her name was Sophie Foster. She was always different than the rest of us. She had brown eyes. So, striking. She told us that when she was a baby, her parents used to use her as a test subject for experiments. That's probably a lie though. She also had blonde hair." Biana looked at Keefe. "Like Marella." Phew. She left him out of the conversation. "She was always so good at everything. Except alchemy. She nearly failed that. But, other than that, she was perfect." Biana didn't seem to admire Sophie as Keefe thought she would. It seemed like she was taking it with a pinch of salt.

"Me and Biana were kind of friends." Dex chimed in. "We knew each other, because I'm Sophie's cousin, and when Fitz and she got together, it kind of made sense for us to hang out." Dex laughed. "Wow there really isn't much to say about me, except, well my parents are a bad match, so I guess that's something." If Dex had bangs, he'd probably tug them. "I joined the Neverseen because I wanted to show that the Dizznee's aren't some stupid, shameful family. But, joining the Neverseen to achieve that? A mistake."

"I joined because, I always felt that somehow Vacker's weren't the almighty, powerful people we tell ourselves. We are just elves after all. When I found out that my brother worked here, I followed him, got caught, and was forced to work here. So, yeah." Biana said clapping her hands. "What about you, Maruca?"

"Well, I didn't go to Foxfire, or Exilium, I went to another school. But, my cousin Wylie, he went to Foxfire. I joined the Neverseen when I manifested. I saw what the council did to pyrokinetics, and what the society made of the shades." She said, looking at Marella and Tam. "I was scared the same would happen to me. After all, there aren't many psionipaths out there, who's to say the council won't shut down the ability, or the people won't shame me for manifesting as such?"

Keefe couldn't disagree with her. Keefe was disgusted by what the council had done. He wouldn't put it past them to cancel an ability.

"So, I joined the Neverseen to hide, I guess. I don't love it, but at least they appreciate my ability."

It was everyone's cue to clap. Which they did, except for Keefe. He was too focussed on that name. Fitz. Fitz, Fitz, Fitz. It haunted him. It had for a very long time. As well as the name Sophie Foster.

Keefe wanted to cry. To fall down a very deep hole and die. But, if Keefe did that, he wouldn't be able to escape. Well, death technically would mean he escaped this...

The Black Swan split up. Marella said that her father wanted something from her, which Keefe thought she mumbled a little too softly, Biana had to report to Alvar, Dex and Maruca had technopath and psionipath training. Tam and he were the only ones left now.

Keefe's breathing started off softy. It then got heavier and heavier, the more he thought about him. Her. Them. Tam looked at him, clearly concerned.

"Keefe?"

Keefe continued his breathing.

"KEEFE!" Tam yelled.

Keefe turned to face him. He was clearly panicking, and there was no hiding that from Tam.

"What's wrong? You've been less annoying all afternoon." The teasing was meant to lighten the mood, which it did, but not as much as Tam seemed to hope.

"Well, I do love a good story, but I think they took it to the next level." Tam said, referencing the rest of the Black Swan. "But you haven't told me your story, or why Biana and Dex seemed to know you."

Keefe took deeper breaths. Maybe ignoring the question would make it hurt less. Maybe ignoring everything was the right answer. And yet, maybe telling Tam would help.

"Keefe, listen, we might be rivals and all, but you can tell me. I'll keep it secret, promise."

Keefe looked at him intensely. He had made the decision, and hopefully the right one.

"You want to know the whole story? Well, be prepared, because it isn't the happiest one."