Never Underestimate a Tragic Backstory

Linh

Linh stared at everyone, as she said the last word of her and Tam's backstory. It hurt more to say it out loud. She glanced at Tam, who stared at the ground, as if he were going to kiss it. Then Marella hugged her. Yup, Marella Redek, daughter of Fintan Pyren, leader of the Neverseen, was hugging her. Marella's soft blonde hair tickled Linh's neck. Linh hugged back. Something about the way the blonde haired, icy eyed girl seemed to... get her nervous. She didn't know why. Then, much to Linh's disappointment, Marella let go. Marella's cheeks were red hot, just like the fire she often summoned. Linh knew her cheeks could probably match Marella's. Then Marella turned her head a bit, and smirked. Linh stared at her, confused. Marella did an irresistibly cute head movement gesturing to Tam and Keefe. Keefe seemed to be, less hugging Tam, more holding him. Tam did not seem to be complaining. Linh's pink lips quirked up in a smile. She turned her head once again, this time facing Biana and Dex. Biana had her hand draped around Dex's shoulder, and his head leaning on hers a little. Linh's smile grew wider. Love. She thought to herself. But she was pretty sure she was not the only one thinking it. Marella seemed to be nodding at the two. Then Marella looked at her. Their eyes locked. Icy blue and pale silver blue, flecked with silver. Stars aligned. Not the unmapped stars. Not just any star. Their stars. Linh was sure that her heart skipped a beat. Marella seemed to be lost in Linh's eyes too. But Linh would never know.

Then Marella's features twisted, in anguish.

Regret.

And guilt.

So much guilt.

Before Linh could fathom a reason for this, Marella recovered. She was now smiling at Linh, as if nothing happened. And, if Linh were not totally red right now, she probably would have asked if something was wrong. But that was not the case. Because Linh was victim to Marella's beauty once again.

"Okay, are you two going to stop being all couple-ly on us already? I mean, I love the opposites attract thing and all, but do it another time, not right now." Biana said, twirling a strand of her chocolate brown hair. The two girls blushed. But a quick glance at Tam and Keefe told them they reacted the same way.

"Linh, please," Tam begged Linh. "It's not worth staying here, really it isn't."

Linh took a deep breath. "Tam, wherever we go, people are going to treat us differently because we are twins. The only people who don't care about that are the Neverseen."

"But we don't care about that." Keefe said, quietly, yet, strong. "And don't say that we are in the Neverseen, because we're not. The Lost Cities are wrong in many ways, but this is not right either. As the human saying goes. 'Two incorrect things don't make a correct.'"

"I'm fairly sure it goes 'Two wrongs don't make a right.'" Linh pointed out.

"Yeah, whatever. Same thing. Just don't let what other people think impact what you think. Or do."

Linh had a feeling that he did not say that just for her. There were a million reasons she could say no, a million reasons they were wrong. And yet, there was this tiny voice, barely heard, such that you question if it's even there at all, saying: they're right. The voice whispered. You will never gain anything here, nothing. Nothing at all. And Linh did not know what to do. She did an overly dramatic princess sigh.

"I'm in."

Linh could see the rest of the group with different expressions. Keefe was grinning from ear to ear. Tam seemed the most relieved she had ever seen him. Dex and Biana were pumping their fist as if they were cosplaying Keefe. Maruca had this I'm-surprised-and-happy-at-the-same-time-I-feel-so-confused-someone-help-GAHH expression on her face. And Marella. Marella had the most interesting expression ever. Her icy eyes were shiny, with maybe tears, and yet, cloudy, as if... Linh was not sure. She was not sure if it was a good thing or not either. She just was not sure.