EPILOGUE: An Evening in Paris

Marella:

The second thing Marella and Linh argued on was the colour their walls should be. Marella was adamant in that orange or red would be the most refreshing colour, while Linh said that blue was the most reflective. The first was about the betrayal.

It was years ago, and so was their first argument. A few months after arriving in the Lost Cities, Linh had to take the time to realign everything she'd known about Marella, and then redo that after Marella became a genuinely nice person.

"Okay, this wall thing is driving me nuts." Marella said, groaning. "Why don't we just move the furniture in first and then think about colour?"

"Then we'd have to move all the furniture back out again to paint the walls." Linh pointed out. Marella sighed.

"Good point. How about a holiday in France?" Linh perked up immediately and grinned.

"Let's do it."

At age twenty-five, Linh still looked as beautiful as she did when they got together. She cut her hair short, but kept the tips silver, a reminder of what she'd gone through. She wore bolder clothes than before, ranging in colours of red, green, bright, neon blue, and still looking dashing in them.

Marella dyed her hair all sorts of colours. The blonde hair allowed her to do easily. Elixers worked best on blondes, after all. Marella often wore human clothes where people would normally wear capes. It got her dirty looks, but that was no matter what she wore.

Marella stepped outside the house next to Linh, who sported a tank top that was teal and black short with a single pink stripe. She held the pathfinder to the light, and in the speed of light, they were standing in a busy Townsquare in Paris.

They walked steadily, keeping their eyes of the cobblestone sidewalks, the fresh bakery air all around them. People chirped like birds around them, not knowing that they were walking amongst elves. Like Keefe and Tam, Linh and Marella also liked visiting the Forbidden Cities, if not just for the photos they took.

They stopped at a bakery that looked lonely. It wasn't big or surrounded by people, but it was cosy. The warm air engulfed them as they took a step inside. Marella gripped Linh's hand tightly, feeling for the promise ring she gave her.

"Hello," a lady said, likely in her forties. Her black hair was peppered with grey, and her face creased when she smiled. She reminded Marella of the bakery itself: old and sweet.

"Hello, can we have two chocolate croissants?" Linh said.

"Of course." She spoke. Marella and Linh smiled and paid for the food (thanks to Dex and his hacking skills). They found a place to sit and eat, the evening breeze telling bringing in tourists.

Marella bounced her foot against the sidewalk, voraciously devouring the croissant, hot and fresh. Linh peeled it apart and ate it that way. The lamps started to flicker on as the sun set and the sky darkened. People sped past them like breezes faintly there, but you never notice. The cool summer air was the perfect time for a night in Paris.

"Do you want to stay here the night?" Linh asked. Marella thought for a moment.

"Sounds good. There's nothing to sleep on at home." Marella said. Home. Marella was glad she could use that word and say it like that to Linh. Marella grabbed Linh's hand in a split second and kissed it. A few eyes turned their way, but people sewed their mouths shut. Linh smiled.

"I love you, Marella." Linh leaned her head against Marella, who smiled gently.

"Most who meet me do."

"I remember Keefe very much making it clear how much he didn't like you when you met."

Marella nudged her girlfriend. "You'll never let me live that down, will you?"

"I'll be dead before it."

"Good to know I can rely on you."

A ringing sound came from Marella's pocket. She picked up her imparter, seeing it was Keefe who was ringing her. She held it so that Marella was in frame too. "Keefe?"

Tam jutted his face in there, flushing. "Linh, Marella, I have the best news." he said, breathlessly. Marella and Linh sat straighter. "We're engaged!"

Marella and Linh both gasped, before breaking out into grins. "What? Since when? That's amazing!"

Tam gushed. "Keefe proposed. It's a human thing."

"I did a lot of research." Keefe said, kissing Tam's cheek.

"We're very proud." Linh said. "I want to be your best man, Tam."

"Always."

Marella cut the call, glee filling her entire body. She was rosy-cheeked, and emulated Tam's expression perfectly. Linh looked a bit like Keefe, smiling knowingly, still in love.

"I can't wait till you do the same." Linh said. Marella gasped and blushed.

"One day," Marella said. "I'll give you the best proposal ever."

"I'll wait."