chapter eight 💌

A few moments after John B dove into the water, a siren was heard and all four of them turned their heads towards the sound.

"Shit, JJ." Pope whispered.

"Guys, that's the police." JJ stating the obvious.

"Yeah no shit, JJ." Olivia muttered.

"Just act frickin' normal." Kie huffed, tossing one of her T-shirt to the Jones girl since her clothes is tie up to the anchor chain.

The police boat reached theirs within seconds, the siren still blaring when they got closer. It was getting annoying.

"Evening officers." Pope greeted them.

"Evening."

One of the officers gave the rope to Pope so that it would connect both of the boats together.

"JJ, tie this off." Pope ordered, giving the rope to JJ.

"How you kids doing? You know the marsh is closed?" Deputy Shoupe took off his sunglasses.

"No."

"No. Wow."

"We didn't know that? Why is it closed?" Olivia asked, wanting to shorten the awkwardness.

"Well, we're conducting a search out here. Boat went down." The Deputy replied. "Seen anything?"

"No. No boats." All four of them replied, their words overlapping with each other's.

"Where's your friend you always hang with? Is he here?" The deputy questioned.

The four of them were quiet at first, not really knowing what lie to come up with but Kie came up to their rescue.

"He's working." She answered, smiling at The Deputy.

Pope and Olivia were starting to get anxious, they both looked at each other knowing that John B is almost running out of time and if this cops are not going away any sooner, John B would run out of air.

"Hm. I'm gonna check your little boat out." Deputy Shoupe was not convinced so he stood up and walked into the Pogues' boat.

"Yeah hop aboard. You wanna check- uh, check her out." Pope stuttered but managed to finish his sentences.

The Deputy looked around and stop to ask about the lifejacket. "Uh...you got another one of these?"

"Yeah yeah of course. It's in the hold." JJ stood up to show that he wasn't lying.

"Alright." Shoupe mumbled before walking to the front of the boat looking out into the water to see if there's any suspicious act that the teens pull.

"Uh, be careful right there, you don't wanna slip." Pope told him, pointing to where he was standing.

He stared down right where John B dove into the water a few minutes ago, they were all nervously gave each other's look of worries, not trying to make it obvious.

"All right." He finally said after what felt like hours to Olivia.

"Let us know, if you see anything on your way out." Shoupe got back into his boat, disconnecting it from theirs.