Chapter 10: Viva La Chloe

A little later that Wednesday evening, Ali hid near the entrance of Rive Gauche, the King James Mall's French bistro, her heart pounding. Serge Gains-bourg lilted out of the carefully hidden speakers, and the air smelled like steak frites, melted goat cheese, and Dior J'Adore. If Ali shut her eyes, she could almost imagine it was the time before sixth grade had started and Chloe was at her side. Everything was perfect—Ali hadn't been sent to the Preserve, Naomi and Riley were still her friends, they hung out here at this very mall on the weekends, and Chloe was with them most of the time.

Ali watched Chloe as she hovered in the entrance of Rive Gauche, her mind going back to their interaction in the woods near Chemistry Hill. When Chloe had approached her, Ali tried to remain hard as steel. But the closer Chloe got to her, the more Ali's tough exterior melted away into something more vulnerable. She could tell by the look on Chloe's face that she still loved her. And that is what made Ali burst into tears. When she took Chloe into her arms, she never wanted let her go.

Now Chloe appeared to have her eyes set on a specific table. At this table, four girls were seated together: Kate, Hanna, Naomi, and Riley. Ali's heart lifted when she saw Naomi. Sure, she had Nick and Ryan. But Naomi was special in a different way. It was like Naomi could always sense that there was something off about Ali, but she never made Ali feel judged for it.

Ali had to admit that Kate looked good. Her chestnut hair was held back by a black silk headband. She wore a vermilion empire-waist dress with a pair of dark brown Loeffler Randall boots. Hanna was wearing black patent leather Marc Jacobs heels, a fuchsia cashmere cowl-neck, skinny jeans, and ultra-red Nars lipstick.

Then there was Naomi and Riley. Naomi's super-short hair was the result of a new haircut—Ali thought it made her look chic—and she definitely got credit for trying something daring. Riley, on the other hand, was showcasing her love for leggings. It was pretty fashion-forward, especially since she'd started wearing them before Rachel Zoe picked them out for Lindsay Lohan.

Riley's ratlike nose twitched as she wiped her nonexistent lips with a napkin. She'd still been friends with Ali when they attended Rosewood Day together, but she wasn't as close to Ali like Naomi was. Then again, no one knew about how close Ali and Naomi actually were. Not even Chloe.

Chloe took a deep breath as she gazed at Hanna's table. Now she was wearing a vermilion empire-waist dress with a pair of gold Loeffler Randall sandals—she'd put them on after entering inside the King James Mall. Ali watched as Chloe proceeded toward the table. Naomi, Riley, and Hanna noticed her, waving at her, but Kate looked at her suspiciously. Chloe marched right up to the banquette and plopped down on the plushy red seat. "How are you guys!" she squealed, giving them air kisses.

Naomi, Riley, and Hanna dawned over Chloe, admiring her dress, bracelet, and sandals, pushing their uneaten fries in her direction. As Ali peered closer at them, she realized Chloe was dressed similar to Kate, except she looked way prettier. Ali wondered if Chloe had dressed like this on purpose to mess with Kate's head.

Kate glanced at Chloe. "What's she doing here?" she said in a low voice.

Chloe pushed a fry to her mouth and glanced over at the dessert cart. Then she looked back at the girls. "I have something to say to you guys," she announced.

Riley raised an arched eyebrow. "You do?"

Chloe nodded, folding her hands. "I want to apologize for what I did to Kate at Steam the other day."

The girls each had the same shocked expression on their faces. The look seemed to say, what? Is Chloe actually apologizing? She never apologizes. However, unbeknownst to them, Ali and Chloe had already apologized to each other the day they'd gone to the movies while Ali was staying with Tabitha for a weekend. Ali remembered every moment during that time so vividly, mainly because it was the only time Chloe had ever apologized to Ali. Sure, Ali had done things to make Chloe not trust her, but that was only because of Ali's jealousy toward other people who had Chloe's attention. She never meant to hurt Chloe. And now, it seemed like Chloe was finally starting to realize that Ali wasn't an enemy, but a friend.