Chapter 18: The Truth Will Never Set You Free

As Ali made her way through the woods Saturday evening, the Hastings' house came into view through the trees. Her black-hooded sweatshirt and jeans helped her blend in as it got dark outside, and her hood was pulled tight around her head so even if someone did see her, they wouldn't see her face. She watched as Emily's Volvo drove up the Hastings family's round driveway, and a valet rushed to the car door and asked for Emily's and Courtney's IDs. "We want to get a record of everyone who's here," the guy said. Ali noticed there was a gun on his belt.

Ali snickered. It didn't matter if this guy, or Officer Wilden, had a gun or not. They weren't going to stop what was going to take place tonight. And they certainly wouldn't stop her from taking Chloe and bringing her home once and for all.

Speaking of Chloe, Ali wondered what she was doing right now. Ian had been missing for a full day now—at least everyone in Rosewood though that. What they didn't know was that he was dead. And if all went well, Ali would make the four girls look like liars, and Chloe would be with her again. So far, the plan was working. Ali had been sending them threatening notes as A, and they hadn't told anyone except for Wilden. But Ali wasn't worried at all. She knew exactly how to keep all of them quiet. And Ian—if he wasn't digging for some big secret he thought the cops were hiding, maybe he'd still be alive.

But that wasn't the only reason he suffered the fate he did. Ali did it mainly to protect Chloe. After all, she'd lied to the cops about Ian attempting to kill her and Courtney. And if he was going to prove his innocence, that meant Chloe was in danger of going to jail.

Well, Ali couldn't have that.

Now Ali's gaze remained on Emily and Courtney as they stepped out of the Volvo. Emily tugged at the bottom hem of her dress, and Courtney smoothed her dress out, as if it couldn't get any smoother. Spencer's house was all lit up like a birthday cake. Wilden's police car was parked front and center, and a few more valets were directing traffic. As Courtney took Emily's hand, Ali watched as Seth Cardiff, Emily's ex-boyfriend Ben's best friend, getting out of a car behind them.

Emily didn't seem to care as she and Courtney started up the front walk. Then Ali saw Eric Kahn standing on the porch. If Eric was there, Noel was undoubtedly close by.

Noel knew how much Chloe meant to Ali, probably more than anyone else did. And he knew her secret—that she was in and out of hospital care since she was nine years old, and that was the reason why she missed school every now and then. She knew she could rely on him. And, if it came right down to it, he'd help her get her little sister back.

Ali pulled out her phone and sent Courtney a quick text. Can you talk for a minute? I'm in the woods.

Courtney looked down as her iPhone beeped. Ali watched as she searched her silver clutch and pulled it out to look at the screen. Seconds later, Courtney looked up at Emily. "Em, you can go inside if you want to. I'll be there in a minute."

She walked over to shadowy spot next to a large, snow-laden shrub, and Emily followed her. The wind shook the branches on the big evergreen next to them. Emily looked around worriedly, probably wondering what they were doing, standing in the dark, when a crazy murderer was on the lam.

"Are you sure, Courtney? Do you want me to stay out here with you?" Emily asked.

Courtney laughed. "Easy there, Killer. I'll be fine." She gave Emily a kiss, and then Emily straightened and started up the path again. She took a deep breath and opened the front door. Bright light shown outside as Eric Kahn followed behind Emily and went inside.

Ali waited for a few seconds. Then Courtney turned and looked at the woods, way at the back of Spencer's property. She looked this way, then that, making sure no one was around. With that, she started making her way through the backyard in the the direction of the woods. Ali looked around, knowing Nick was close by. As far as he knew, Ali was playing Courtney and had every intention of betraying her when the time was right. What he didn't know was that Ali and Courtney were actually friends again.