Chapter 19: Chloe Risks It All

The Hastingses' doorbell rang for the umpteenth time, and Chloe and Spencer watched from the corner as their parents welcomed the Pembrokes, one of the oldest families in the area. Mr. and Mrs. Pembroke were notorious for always bringing their animals everywhere with them, and it looked as if they'd brought two of their pets tonight: Mimsy, their yapping Pomeranian, and the stole around Hester Pembroke's neck, which still had the fox's head attached. As the couple stampeded hungrily for the bar, Mrs. Hastings whispered something to Melissa and then drifted away. Melissa caught Spencer and Chloe looking. Her hand fluttered against her dark red satin dress; then she lowered her eyes and turned away. Neither Chloe or Spencer hadn't been able to ask Melissa how she felt about Ian's disappearance—Melissa had made herself scarce all day.

Chloe looked around at everyone who'd attended the benefit. So much had happened already, but Wilden having to escort Mason Byers's parents out to their Bentley because Binky Byers had downed too many Metropolitan cocktails was definitely the highlight of the night so far. That, and when Chloe and Spencer had walked in on Olivia Zeigler, Naomi's mom, throwing up in the powder room just minutes ago, her tanned arms clutching the sides of the sink. As four the other girls, Chloe already knew where they were and who they were with: Spencer had stepped away to use the powder room so she could talk to Melissa in private, probably about Ian; Aria was having drinks with Noel somewhere in the living room; Emily and Courtney had gone upstairs to most likely have some quality time alone together; and Hanna was mingling all over the house with Lucas while Kate, Naomi, and Riley lingered somewhere close by.

Chloe's thoughts drifted to Ian. The four girls think he escaped, but Chloe knew that wasn't true. She thought of the encounter she'd just had with Ali in the woods, then she thought of the dream she'd had yesterday morning—let her protect you. The more Chloe thought about it, the more she realized maybe that's what Ali was doing. And maybe, just maybe, Courtney was in on it.

Chloe thought about telling the cops about Ian's visit, but something in her gut told her not to. Then, as ready to guard the party, Chloe realized she couldn't. After all, Ali was most likely protecting her from whatever secret it was Ian was on the verge of finding out. And the least Chloe could do was return the favor.

"Chloe, dear," said a voice to the right. It was Mrs. Kahn, looking gaunt in her emerald green sequined gown. Chloe had heard her tell the society photographers that it was a vintage Balenciaga. Everything about Mrs. Kahn sparkled, from her ears to her neck to her wrists to her fingers. It was common knowledge that last year, when Noel's father had gone to L.A. to finance yet another golf course, he'd bought out half of Harry Winston for his wife. The bill had been posted on a local gossip blog.

"Do you know if there are any more of those delicious mini petit fours?" Mrs. Kahn asked. "Why the hell not, right?" She patted her flat stomach and shrugged, as if to say, There's a killer on the loose, so let us eat cake.

"Uh..." Chloe spied Peter and Veronica across the room, next to the string quartet. "I'll be back."

She wove around the partygoers until she was a few feet away from her parents. Peter wore a dark Armani suit, but Veronica had on a short black number with bat-wing sleeves and a ruched waist. Maybe it was all over the Milan runways, but Spencer had said it looked like something Dracula's wife would wear when she cleaned the house.

She was about to tap Veronica on the shoulder, but then decided to shift back into the endless see of partygoers. Chloe knew Mrs. Kahn really wanted those mini petite loafers, but she needed a moment to herself. Courtney had been guarding her all night for some reason, as though she didn't want Chloe to go anywhere she wasn't supposed to. But where?

Chloe made her way to the media room, flipped on the little Tiffany lamp on the end table, and sat down on the couch. Better, she thought. It was much quieter in here, and more peaceful, too.

Suddenly, a noise came from the inside of Chloe's black clutch bag, which was sitting on the coffee table—she'd put it there when she and Spencer had come in here to talk briefly about the whole Ian potentially escaping theory. Courtney and Chloe hadn't shared their theory with any of the girls, which was that Ian hadn't escaped. But more like, something happened to him.

Chloe's eyes darted to her clutch bag. It was her phone. Ali? Then her eyes flickered to the window. There was a single, yellow spotlight on their backyard, illuminating the big deck. Beyond that, everything was pitch-black. She strained to listen for anyone scuttling around in the bushes by the window, but there was nothing.

The phone rang once more. Slowly, Chloe reached for her purse. Her hands shook so much she could hardly undo the small metal clasp.

She didn't have a new text from Ali, or A, but one from Spencer. Hey. Where are you? Chloe looked up at the picture of Ali propped up against the Eiffel Tower. Her mouth was open in mid-laugh, as though they was the happiest she'd ever been.

Chloe thought of her Ali and Courtney dream again. She'd been standing right next to the twins by those very same bike racks. Ali and Courtney had turned to her, with the same fragile expression on their faces. They wanted Chloe to uncover something. Maybe something that was very close.

You shouldn't have thrown it away, Chloe, both of them chanted. It was all there. Everything you need. It's up to you, Chloe. You have to fix this.

Chloe finally realized what it was. "The trash bag," she said out loud.

Chloe looked out the back window. The grief counselor had made them bury all that Ali crap last Saturday—essentially throwing it away. Was that what the versions of Ali and Courtney in her dream had meant? Could there be something in there that would solve everything?

"Oh my God," Chloe whispered, standing abruptly. She glanced at the doorway leading back out to the party, then out the window toward the barn, where they'd buried the Ali trash bag. It was a long shot, but she had to make sure. She typed a quick response to Spencer's text. Tell Officer Wilden to come look for me if I'm not back in ten minutes, it read. She pressed Send and tore out of the room.