Chapter 2

Shiloh Bartlett's Canadian taxi drives down the driveway leading to the Heartland horse ranch. She watches as her grandpa Jack comes out and pays the taxi driver. Jack touches her face.

"You look like Melissa with your daddy's skin," Jack says.

Shiloh walks over to the pen when a solid white horse catches her attention. He's antsy.

"That's Kai," Jack explains as he follows. "Marion died saving him and the horse Amy rides. Figured you could break him. This is his file."

Shiloh reads it and smiles faintly. "He's a jumper?"

"He's all yours," Jack says.

"I wanna work on him now," Shiloh says.

"I'll bring your stuff to your room," Jack says and he grabs her bag.

Shiloh enters the pen and she circles the wooden pen. Kai is hesitant and Shiloh hears a whistle. She turns and she spots the hand. He hands her a rope.

"You're a new face. You know the Bartlett's?"

"Jack is my grandpa," Shiloh says. "Amy is my cousin. I'm Shiloh."

"Caleb."

Shiloh turns back to Kai and she smiles. "Let's do this, boy."
🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Lou goes out to the one and she sees her cousin. She smiles and walks over.

"Hey, you don't go to school?" Lou asks.

"I graduated early back in Texas," Shiloh replies.

Lou nods. "Well, I have some things to do," she says. "See you later."
🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Shiloh gets shown around Heartland by Jack and she goes to feed the horses inside the new barn. It burned down before Melissa died and the community and friends came together to help rebuild it. She leaves and she goes to work with Blanca. She turns and she sits down, her back to the horse.

Jack and Mallory watch as the gorgeous white horse walks over and he bends his head down.

"She's good."

"The horse chose her," Jack says to Mallory. 

Shiloh stands up and she pets him as Lou arrives with Tim Fleming. Lou is planning a double birthday party. Shiloh turns seventeen tomorrow and Amy turns sixteen on Saturday, Lou wants to celebrate them both.

"Now for the real tour," Caleb O'Dell says. "Saddle him, and I'll show you around."

Shiloh mounts the gorgeous white horse that Jack kept around for her, even if he was untamed yet, after she has his saddle on him. She runs her hand over his short mane and she lets him walk out of the pen once Caleb opens it.

"I'm Caleb, I'm the hand here," the blonde says as they ride.

"I'm Shiloh, as I said earlier," Shiloh says. "I remember your name."

"Amy says your birthday is near hers?"

"I am one year and one day older than her," Shiloh says. "Where she turns sixteen on Saturday, I turn seventeen tomorrow."

Shiloh sees a fallen tree. She puts Kai into a run and he jumps the tree with ease. The indigenous girl laughs joyously.

"Oh, that was fun," she says as Caleb catches up. "I used to show jump all across the State. But then me, my parents, and my horse were in a car accident. My parents and horse died. I almost did but I think the ancestors saved me."

Caleb and Shiloh talk and he gets to know her as they ride.

"Wanna race?" Shiloh asks Caleb as they get done with the tour.