Chapter Eighteen

Zenielle

"Z, thank you for agreeing to see me

"Z, thank you for agreeing to see me." Halle said as she help me set my table for dinner.

"Uh yeah I know it seems like I've been ignoring you but I swear I've been busy-"

"Hey trust me, I get it. The feds are letting me out more and I feel like I can finally breathe again." Halle said shaking her head. "I missed you." she confessed.

I smile softly and nod my head. I missed you too." I said making my friend smile.

I invited Halle over for dinner. I think it's time for Kaleah to know the truth but I just don't know how to tell her. This is something that I have to ease onto her. A part of me wants to wait until she's older but I feel like the older she gets the more it's going to hurt her. I don't wanna hurt her.

"Kaleah is so beautiful." Halle said. "She looks just like her father." She said shaking her head.

"I think she looks like you." I say trying to making to make her feel better.

"Really?" Halle asked.

I nod my head. The front door opened and in walked Kaleah. She was out of breath and holding a basketball in her hand.

"Hey mom." She said to me.

"Hey." I said looking at her.

She looked at Halle and waved. "Who's your friend?" She asked.

"This is a long time friend of mine Halle." I told Kaleah.

"I'm gonna go shower." She said.

"Okay hurry up because I have a surprise for you." I tell her.

She nodded her head excitedly adn ran off to her bathroom. I looked at Halle and she just looked stuck.

"I'm sorry. I know this is hard for you." I say rubbing her back.

Halle slightly moved away from. "I feel so stupid." She said. "I abandoned my daughter."

"You didn't have a choice."

"Yes I did." She said shaking her head. "I chose a man over her and ended up being damaged from it." She said.

"You were young and didn't know any better."

"I should've taken the route you did. Finished school adn went onto college to become something." Halle said shaking her head.

"You can do it. You can do it because I'll be here to help you." I tell her.

"What about Kaleah?" She asked wiping her eyes.

"I'll let you spend as much time as you need and when you're ready you can tell her. We can tell her together." I say to her.

Halle turned around and hugged me. She squeezed me tightly. It was one of those sisterly hugs. I've haven't experienced that in so long because I missed her. I didn't think that there was anyway of getting that back.