5

Diamond Brown
+1 week

"Will that be all?" Diamond asked the lady who was ordering. "mhm." She nodded her head.

"Okay the total is 12.56." she explained. The lady paid and diamond headed to the back to clock out.

Diamond wanted to go to college but she couldn't afford it. She didn't know what she would be now. She had always wanted to be a dentist but she knew that since she was a felon it would be a lot harder to become one.

It wasn't impossible. In the state of Atlanta only embezzlement and fraud crimes would stop you from becoming a healthcare professional.

After she clocked out , she grabbed her things and headed outside to her car.

She hopped in her car and placed her things to the side. It was still pretty early so she'd find something to do before the end of the day.

She first headed home and men sat in front of the steps. "Damn shawty what yo name is?"

She gave him a friendly smile and shook her head. "Fuck you too then." He spoke. She rolled her eyes and continued upstairs.

She unlocked her door and headed inside.

She placed everything down. She emptied her bag and changed out of her work clothes into regular clothing. She then grabbed her keys before heading back outside.

She was glad that the men were not there anymore. She got into the car and pulled off.

She headed to the Atlanta humane society. She had always wanted a dog but she knew that would mean a whole other mouth to feed.

And she was trying to pay for college right now which is why she had two jobs now. she also worked at an Ulta.

She would go to a simple community college. Maybe even online. Most likely online.

But she really wanted a dog. She had to make sure her priorities were straight so she'd just go to LOOK at dogs.

It wouldn't be that much to take care of. Especially since all she did was pay rent , gas and car note. Sometimes groceries. If she didn't have enough money for it she would go to the local church that gave away lots of groceries for free every Thursday.

They'd give enough groceries to last a month.

She stepped out of the car and headed inside the building. She checked in before heading inside the building full of kennels.

She walked around and checked out the different dogs before one caught her attention.

He was the sweetest boy ever. When she reached her hand in to rub his head he immediately rolled over on to his back exposing his stomach.

He wagged his small tail. He was white with light brown spots all over him.

But the deal breaker was his size. he wasn't expensive, he was just huge and he was only 2.

"Sweet boy huh?"

She turned and nodded at the lady. "Yeah." She smiled. "This is Howie. He's a bulldog and borbel mix." She explained.

"He's a great boy and he's a good listener." She explained. "So why hasn't anyone got him?" She asked.

"Just because of his size and looks. Most are intimidated by him." She explained. "he's been here for 6 months and in a few weeks we'll have to euthanize him because we need more space."

"Euthanize? What does that mean?" She asked.

"Put him to sleep." She explained as diamond looked at the dog. She sighed.

•••••••••••••••

"Your a good boy." Diamond smiled at her dog who laid next to the bed on the floor asleep. She sighed before standing up. She has to cook now.

She walked to the kitchen and searched for something. She was unsure of what she should cook but she soon grabbed the one small pack of ground beef and potatoes.

She let the ground beef thaw out in cold water as she began to pull out the seasonings she needed. She soon but up the potatoes after turning on a pot of oil.

She seasoned the potatoes before placing them in the bubbling pot of oil.

"Hi." She smiled at Howie who walked in the kitchen in search of her.

He walked behind her and sat down. She chuckled before she placed the meat in a bowl and seasoned it.

She then shaped them in patties and placed them on the skillet.