District 6 - The Starving.

Rocky was walking home from staying at a friend's house as he held onto his mother's hand. A question nagged on his mind and his mother saw this so she took the liberty of asking "What's up honey?" She asked. Her face gracing a smile. Rocky looked up at her "Mother, what is a Starving day?" His mother's smile dropped and she picked up the pace her brows furrowing as she did "Who told you about that Rocky?" She asked tugging on her keys to open the doors, she dropped her keys as she did so and a tall girl picked it up "Here ma'am" She said as she smiled. Jade was acting of course, she didn't want to get on the crazy mother's bad side. She didn't care about this family but they pay a lot to babysit that fat kid. "Thank you, Jade." The older woman smiled up at her and Jade had to keep her eyes from rolling. "You're welcome, if there's anything you need please tell me." Jade said before walking away. All the way back to her house.

Her house was cold and silent. She was alone, how could she not be when the only person who could fulfil her wishes was her. She was alone, but she didn't need anyone. Not to hold her when she was sad, not to tell her how proud they were. She didn't want to end up like Rocky. The fat kid that was being scolded about knowing about The starving day with a mother that was almost crying in fear for the boy. His mother knew that he was not pulled and probably won't be for so long, if at all. Just the fear that this boy knew. But the boy didn't, the boy was clueless why she was crying. More focused on the boys playing outside. He wished he could be like those boys, playing and having fun. He loved his mother's food but he would give it up if it meant to be free. Jade however was free, but deep down she would give it up if it meant a nice plate of her mother's food. That night they both went to bed hungry, not managing a bite of both their dinners.

They were still hungry when it was Starving Day.

Jade was dressed nicely. She spent months sewing the clothes for today. Deep down she was hoping to be picked, but she knew she never would be. She went past Rocky's house as she departed towards the main square where everyone would meet. She decided to wait on her, not seeing what harm it would do to try and seem really reliable as a babysitter. To Jade's suspicion and surprise, The mother was alone. Jade hid behind a corner until the mother passed her. Peering inside from the window to maybe come across a clue or two as to why she left Rocky behind. Rocky asked himself the same thing as he sat in a room, blocked from everyone's view. He so badly wanted to come with her and the perfect opportunity presented itself as he remembered his mother didn't eat breakfast. And she always tells him that a good breakfast starts a good day. Rocky sprung up and pounded on the door, Jade heard the pounding and broke the window. She couldn't just let her babysitting job go! She removed the locks from the door and behind it stood the round boy in his pyjamas.

Now they were running to the square in order not to be late. The peacekeeper took Jade's fingerprint as a petrified, spine-chilling scream was heard. It was Rocky's mother. Who was storming towards him and Jade "DO NOT!" She shouted in fear and anger "NO! HE'S TOO GOOD FOR THIS! DO NOT!" She screamed. Rocky was confused, he had never seen his mother like this before. Jade knew she blew her chances at being reliable when he saw the peacekeepers dragging the woman off for questioning. "What a freakshow." She said as she rolled her eyes and took her place.

Rocky was still standing there as the peacekeeperurged him to put down his fingerprint. He had never seen a man like this before,it seems he was the only one since there were lots of them. He placed hisfinger on the mat like jade had before him. "Unidentified. Have you been' playing'the system with that psycho mom of yours?" The man asked as he took Rocky'shand and raised it. "WE GOT A VOLUNTEER!" He yelled as all eyes were on him. Boyscheered and clapped happily as he walked to the podium. 'is this the Starving?It's amazing!' he thought as pride filled him. He smiled at the boys as hestood on the podium, he bowed for them and cheered along with them. 'He is trulyclueless' Jade thought as she lowered her head She had arrived late and the speechhad already passed, no one had volunteered and Jade was certain the lucky girlthat could fight with pride would die, After all, no one is as good as her. Shethen heard her name and her mind went blank. Her narcissistic thoughts disappearedand her faux ego faltered. "No.." She muttered as she felt her legs move. Shewas walking up, waving and smiling. But deep down... she was scared. She arrivedat the podium where Rocky was still cheering and laughing with the boys. The cheeringwas so overwhelming that Jade couldn't focus on the former champion. She felt aheadache coming up as she rushed to the train she was going to be transportedon.

Rocky was denied a visit from his mother who was heard yelling and crying thewhole time he was walking. He was so happy to be honoured and free.