20 | All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Kendall flew to Tahiti just a few days after returning to New York, admitting himself as a patient at te tamǎr; one of the most exclusive rehabilitation facilities in the world

Kendall flew to Tahiti just a few days after returning to New York, admitting himself as a patient at te tamǎr; one of the most exclusive rehabilitation facilities in the world. The highly focused treatment he had received might have been intense but it brought results, and it brought them fast. By no means was Kendall cured of all his addictions or his deep rooted trauma, but his bloodstream was clear and his mind was in a much better spot than he was before.

From the second Kendall stepped off the private jet, he was greeted by two immaculately groomed employees from te temǎr — Andre and Felicity — advising him that a boat transfer was waiting for them to get to the private island. He nodded politely. They smiled. Despite wearing his signature noise cancelling headphones, no music was playing; he just liked blocking out the world as much as he could whilst still being 'present'.

A team of equally polished staff took Kendall's bags quietly and without any fuss once they arrived to the island. He offered to carry them himself to his room, though they politely declined and explained that he would not be staying in his designated room just yet. First, Kendall would need to go through the admission process inside the main facility. Then, after a medically assisted detoxification, he would begin the five week rehabilitation program in the comfort of his own over-water villa.

"Mr. Roy?" Andre asked politely, trying to get the man's attention. His accent was European of some kind, Kendall thought it sounded Polish or Swedish... Or Dutch perhaps. Similar to Felicity next to him, Andre had blonde hair, green eyes and the slightest dimple in his cheeks which became more pronounced whenever he smiled.

He seemed like an all-round happy guy. Must be nice, Kendall thought.

"Huh? Yeah, uh, sorry," he stuttered, snapping out of his daze and following his original two chaperones. "You can just call me Kendall by the way."

"Okay. Right this way Mr. Kendall," Andre repeated, walking in front of him.

After they arrived to the central facility, Andre waved goodbye and wished Kendall good luck. He didn't know why Andre was wishing him luck, it was just a fucking detox. Kendall had done detoxification before. A team of doctors poked, prodded, tested and analysed Kendall before creating his personalised bespoke rehabilitation program. They explained his treatment plan in detail with him, delving into all the extravagant luxuries the private island had to offer during his stay.

But first, he had to detox.

"What uh... What are you prescribing me? Out of curiosity..." Kendall asked his psychiatrist on his first night of detoxification. He was given a small suite, the size of a standard hotel room which had a bedroom, an ensuite bathroom and a small living area with a couch and television. It was nice, but it felt very... Hospital-y.

Clinical. Sterile. Empty. Cold.

"Mirtazapine, Diazepam, Olanzapine, Buprenorphine, Promethazine and Ondansetron. From what you've told me and the length of time you've been abusing alcohol, cocaine, nicotine and opioids, your withdrawal symptoms will be quite extreme. These medications will replace the chemicals your body is used to getting from drugs but in a much safer and more controlled way."