Chapter 2: Rival

Chapter 2:
Rival

Chapter 2: Rival

-Kaz-

[⚠️ TRIGGER WARNING: This episode contains mentions of suicide. Please read on with caution.]

I still can't forget the moment I first watched her play volleyball. I was so focused and didn't saw the ball coming my way.

"Kaz!"

Rhea shouted my name but it's all too late. And the worst thing is, it hit me in the face. Hard.

Ininda ko ang sakit nang natumba ako sa lupa. Gods, she spiked so hard! Even for a kid, ang sakit niyang humampas ng bola!

Napasimangot ako habang napatingin sa kanya. Her beautiful face comes into my view and it made me stop.

Everything about her screams perfection, even from such a young age. She has a small face and round cheeks, a small nose and red lips. Her long brown hair is in a ponytail. But what caught me the most is her blue eyes like the vast sea that I could get lost in. Or more like, it's drowning me in.

I blink back to reality. What, just because of her beauty, I shouldn't be mad when she literally spiked a ball into my face?

"Sorry. Are you alright?" she sincerely said and offered a hand to me.

Hindi ko tinanggap nang inalok niya ang kanyang kamay sa 'kin. Well, at least, she said sorry. It's not like sinadya niyang sapakin ako ng bola.

I was too preoccupied staring at her. She was such a distraction. Kaya, kasalanan pa rin niya iyon.

I was such an immature kid then. And that was the start of our rivalry. Napansin kong ganun rin siya kay Isaiah but of course, normal lang iyon sa kanila dahil magkambal silang dalawa.

She always challenged me every time and I tease her in return. Especially the moment we find out we were classmates in the first grade.

Then until the grade we reached our last year of senior high.

Napatingin ako kay Freya habang nakayuko siya sa buhangin. I noticed that she's trying hard not to cry. If we were just normal friends, I would have comforted her.

But, we're rivals to each other. And besides, I don't know how to comfort a person anyway.

"You still owe me marshmallows though..." I blurted out the words in such wrong timing. Sinamaan niya lang ako ng tingin.

After all, it's better to be mad than to be sad. I don't like seeing that expression on her face. But I love the look in her face every time I teased her.

We end up in a convenience store we always frequent at and there, she brought me some marshmallows.

"I can't believe you like those sweet and soft candies..." she said while I'm munching on my sweet treat. My cheeks were filled with it.