Chapter 6: Sports Festival

Chapter 6:
Sports Festival

                               Kaz

Sports Fest is coming soon and my team has been intensely practicing for the next match. We can't afford to lose. After just recently losing to the Eagles.

The thing here in SVU is that there are too many boys in a volleyball team. So, what they decided is to let us decide which team we want to be in. There are four— The Phoenix, Eagles, Falcons, and the Hawks.

The four teams have to fight each other until one of them is left, then that team is the remaining winner and would be the one to represent the school to fight the teams in other schools.

I heard that in college, there are different teams but with the same system.

Lucky for the girls team, which are the Ravens, they are automatically the representative of the school because they're number of players are enough.

SVU is the house and home of athletes. Especially, regarding of the sport of volleyball. Where they made their own best players and let them fly high to success. I heard that one of the famous players are now playing pro outside the country.

I wasn't always particularly excited with practice. Mas gusto kong matapos na ito nang maalala ang sinabi ni Freya.

If she just lied to me then I don't know. But, I know where she always waits for me. Talagang hindi na ako makapaghintay.

I took practice seriously as there have been changes and discussions made. I didn't have time to wallow about our loss and we have to moved on from it.

Tinignan ko ang aming banner for the game. Soon, the school will be decorated with the team's banner and some festive lights.

Phoenix— *Rise from the ashes...*

And from the ashes we rise, our team will be victorious.

“Varquez!” I yelled her last name and she turns to me. Hindi ko maalala kung kailan iyon nagsimula pero sanay na kami. We're already used to call each other with our last names.

She's waiting for me on the waiting shed and looked up the sky, turning indigo as it gets dark.

“Naghintay ka...” I uttered while panting a bit and she offered me a chocolate drink.

“Want one?” I nod my head and took it from her, sitting beside Freya who's quietly taking a sip of her own drink.

For a while, we were silent.

“If you're in a slump right now, what would you want to do?”

“Bakit mo natanong?”

“Just because. I want to help you... With Rhea and Isaiah. We'll help.” I added quickly.

“I can understand Rhea for helping me because we're best friends and Isaiah, well, because he's my twin brother. And you? Why would you help me, Lionhart? I'm your rival...”

“And? Is it so wrong to help your own rival?”

“I'm being serious here.”

“Seryoso din ako, Varquez.”

She heaved a sigh. “Fine... I still don't know what to do but I'll figure it out. Sports Fest is coming soon. I just want to enjoy it as best as I can. Do better, okay? Pag natalo ka ulit, I won't let you help me.”

My eyes widen at that. “You're serious?”

“I'm dead serious, Lionhart. I'll be there to watch your game so you better do well.”