Chapter 9: Foreboding at Sanctuary

It was a warm day at Sanctuary, and Drift, Skye and Raz had bought Kondor there to discuss their next plan of action. Whilst Kondor stood and admired the architecture, the others all built up their courage to ask him what to do next.
  It was Skye who finally said it, "So, um, what do we do now?"
  Kondor snapped back to look at her, "You do remember that I have the power to enter minds, right?"
  "Well, yeah, you did it to Raz..." Drift answered uncomfortably, "So how does it work?"
  Drift had to get Lynx back. Maybe he didn't trust Kondor entirely, nor did he entirely trust his mind invasion abilities, but that wouldn't be a problem as long as he had her at the end of it. Her absence was already making him hurt.
  "I need to get in touch with all of your psychi first." Kondor began.
  "What does that mean?" Raz asked, swallowing and looking at Drift and Skye in slight fear.
  "It doesn't matter," Kondor replied... it wasn't the best answer, "All I need you to do is sit in a circle and concentrate on being under one mind."
  Kondor turned to go and sit down, but turned back.
  "Oh, yeah. Me and Raz have already attuned our psychi. It's you two I'm worried about."
  Drift looked at Skye, and she looked worriedly back before Drift asked, "So what should we think of then?"
  "Just... concentrate on your bonds. And on me." Kondor sat finally and the other three joined him apprehensively, "I've kept my evidence for who and what these guys are in a pocket of my mind. You need to enter my mind to see it."
  The trio looked at each other again, before Drift sighed loudly. They didn't have a choice, did they?
  "Fine, then," Drift grumbled reluctantly, "But you owe me an explanation of what 'attuning a psychi' is after."

***

  The Scientist kept his eye on Slone, but that didn't make him trust her any more. The two of them, plus the Imagined, Shanta and John-117, had all finally arrived back at Sanctuary.
  The Scientist stood there for a moment whilst thinking up a plan, but then he thought about just getting somewhere good first.
  "Come on, let's go to my room. We'll be able to do something there." the Scientist waved the group on, "Don't worry, Slone, there's sciencey stuff in there we can use."
  "Sciencey stuff?" Slone scoffed, obviously unimpressed.
  "You'll see what I mean. Come on guys, let's go set it up." the Scientist chuckled jovially. Slone was right... he really did love a science mystery.
  "Actually," the Imagined stopped him, "I'll stay outside with Slone. Keep her company. Most people here have guns, in case you forgot."
  "Oh, uh, yeah, yeah," the Scientist nodded, "Just be careful, 'kay?"
  Not just the Imagined but also the Scientist were left wondering what was implied by that.

To be continued...