the last of us - five

a/n - please vote

i wake up slowly, hearing the soft breathing of olivia. my memory starts to run back, and i smile as i look up at olivia. 

we always just slept beside each other at my house. closest we've gotten was our thighs touching... or something. 

i trace my hand on olivia's jaw, wrapping my arms back around her neck and closing my eyes again.

i wake up as olivia shifts underneath me. "sorry," olivia whispers. "it's okay," i whisper back, sitting up. i slowly get off olivia, rubbing my eyes. i look at my watch, "breakfast is soon." "okay," olivia yawns, rubbing her eyes.

i jump down the small hill, looking at olivia. "you're gonna catch me if i fall?" she asks, smiling. "uh... sure," i smile. olivia laughs, dropping down. 

we walk to the dining hall, walking in. "do you wanna sit with dina and jesse?" i ask, seeing them. "sure," olivia says. we walk over to them, and olivia and i sit opposite each other, me sitting next to dina.

after breakfast, olivia and i start to walk back to our house. i kick the snow on the ground, bending down and scooping some. i shape it into my hand, looking at olivia. she looks at me, looking at the snowball, "don't even think about it." i smile, dropping the snowball and kicking it before it hits the ground.

i open the door, seeing joel. "oh, hey!" i smile. "hey y/n," he smiles, handing my guitar back to me, "fixed your strings." "great, thank you," i say, "need anything?" "i'm good," he says, looking behind me. i look behind me too, seeing olivia walk out of the bathroom. "oh! this is olivia," i tell joel, "you haven't met her yet." "ah, the famous olivia," joel smiles at olivia, "y/n's been talking about you." olivia laughs, walking up to us, "it's great to finally meet you, joel. y/n talks about you a lot too!"

i close the door, looking at olivia. "you have a guitar?!" she exclaims. "yeah, do you play?" i ask, smiling. "yeah! well, that was until i had to abandon my guitar because it was pretty cumbersome," olivia frowns, "haven't seen one in years."

sitting beside olivia on the couch, i hand her the guitar. "oh, i don't..." olivia chuckles nervously. "show me something," i smile. "haven't played in forever, that's my excuse," olivia says, before strumming the guitar on a 'c' chord. "do you write music?" "sort of. i used to write lyrics in my journal," olivia says, "let me get it." i hold the guitar as olivia gets her journal from her bag.

she walks back over, flipping to a page. i read the title of the song. 'favorite crime'.

olivia starts to play the guitar, starting to sing. "know that i loved you so bad," she sings, "i let you treat me like that. i was your willing accomplice, honey." my eyes widen at olivia's voice, and how well she sang.

"'cause baby you were mine," she sings the last line, stopping the guitar with a light slap on the strings. "oh my god, olivia," i smile, "that was amazing! you have an insane voice, holy shit, the lyrics too!" "thank you," olivia chuckles, "i always wanted to be a famous singer... if we weren't living in a world like this." "you'll get your day, olivia," i smile.

i look at olivia, watching her as she sings another song. my eyes fall to her lips, watching them move so smoothly. i look back up to her eyes, smiling faintly.

olivia puts the guitar on the other side of the couch. "um, i normally play the piano, but it's hard to find one nowadays. even rarer than guitars," olivia says. "i think you're perfect," i say. olivia looks at me and i quickly shake my head. "at guitar! yeah, you play well," i clear my throat, quickly changing the conversation, "have you ever heard of electric stairs?" 

olivia cocks her head to the side, giggling, "what?" "yeah! you know when you walk through a mall, those metal stairs?" i explain, olivia nodding, "if you get the power going, they actually move. like, you can stand on a step and in a few seconds, you'll be at the bottom! or the top!" olivia's mouth drops open into a smile, "no way!" 

the next day
i knock on joel's house, the door opening a minute later. "y/n," joel smiles. "hey joel!" i walk in, "do you have that grand piano you literally never use?" 

joel stops the cart in front of my house, and i unlock the door. "is olivia not home?" joel asks. "olivia's doing something with maria," i say, "she'll be back in half an hour."

we shuffle some things around, placing the piano where the shelves were, beside the couch. i sit on the chair, pressing each key on the piano. "all in tune too," i smile, "thank you joel." "is this for you?" he asks, "you could've told me you were into the piano years ago! that piano's been sittin' around for years." "no, it's for olivia," i say, "she's a really good singer, she played stuff on my guitar last night. she writes music too!" "do you like her?" joel asks, smiling. "what do you mean? i forgave her for punching me in the face," i say. "like, a crush," he chuckles. "no!" i laugh, "she's my friend." "no, dina and jesse are," he teases, "you give olivia a different look." does he really think?

my heart jumps a little, but joel chuckles again. "just think about it," he starts to walk to the door, "see you, y/n." "bye joel," i say, watching him walk out and close the door.

i sit outside, beside the door and wait for olivia. after about ten minutes, i see olivia walking up to me. "what're you doing?" she asks, "isn't your ass gonna be cold?" "frozen," i groan, standing up and brushing the snow off. 

olivia goes to open the door, and i quickly push her hand away. "the hell?" she smiles. "just wait," i say, putting my hand over her eyes and standing beside her. "what're you doing? i'm scared, y/n," olivia giggles, leaning back into me, "i can't see anything, and your hand is cold." "i have a surprise for you," i say, twisting the door knob. "hope it's not a runner," olivia says. "it's not," i laugh, olivia and i walking in.

we walk slowly to the piano, stopping in front of it. "okay," i smile, dropping my hands from olivia's eyes. she gasps, turning around and looking at me. "are you for real?" she asks. "yeah," i smile, "joel's house came with a piano. he never used it so i figured you could put it to good use." olivia squeals, wrapping her arms around my neck and hugging me tight.

i laugh, hugging olivia back. "oh, you're the best," olivia pulls away, turning around and looking at the piano. "it's beautiful!" she takes a seat, playing a chord, "oh my god!" i laugh, sitting beside her on the chair. "in return, you gotta play me something," i smile. olivia looks at me, letting out a soft chuckle, "your wish is my command."

olivia spends a few minutes remembering the chords. "alright, so i wrote a little bit of this when i drove my first car," she smiles, "it's called drivers license." i smile, "take it away." she takes a deep breath, starting to play the piano, "i got my drivers license last week..."

"yeah you said forever, now i drive alone past your street," olivia sings, lifting her hands off the piano. "holy shit," i smile, "are you sure you've never fallen in love?" olivia laughs, "no, i just pretend i have." "you're so good," i laugh, "you should perform to the town!" "no way," olivia says, "i think i'd prefer sitting in here and play my songs for you." i smile, nodding.