business dinner

a/n - please vote! new story :) one of my favs!

˗ˏˋ IN WHICH olivia and y/n meet while their parents have a dinner with each other'ˎ˗

olivia's pov , 18
i sit at the garcia's dining table, having a dinner with alicia and jack. my parents, sofia and ronald, were ceo's of amazon, while the garcia's were the ceo's of apple. business, business, business. 

we go out on business dinners with other companies almost every second day. barely any of them have kids, but if they do, they're probably spoiled brats who think they own the world because they're a nepo baby. i mean, you could say the same for me, but... it's different.

"we have kids, yes," alicia says. this is where i listen into the conversation. "oh really?" dad asks. "yes, a twenty year old daughter- same as you, olivia," jack says, glancing at me, "and a two year old." "where are they?" mom asks. "probably hanging out in y/n's room together," jack sighs. "they don't... have dinner with you guys?" dad asks. "they do," alicia says, "sometimes. connor does. y/n... she just does whatever." "how odd," mom subtly judges. i look at my empty plate. "did you want more, olivia?" alicia asks. how odd.

i look up, shaking my head with a polite smile, "no, thank you." 

two minutes later, we hear thumps on the stairs. i look up, seeing the daughter.

she wore grey sweatpants and a cropped shirt. she dressed like she was... normal. i look down at my red dress. maybe she didn't know she had guests over.

y/n walks over, before slowing down as she scans the table with a neutral expression

y/n walks over, before slowing down as she scans the table with a neutral expression. we look at each other, but she looks away. "y/n," jack says, "are you here to join us?" "uh..." y/n thinks, "no, i'm not. i'm good." i get a little taken aback about her carelessness as she walks past the table, to the kitchen. i watch as she opens the kitchen. "would you like to greet our guests, y/n?" alicia asks, subtly hinting towards us. she takes out a water bottle, closing the door. she looks over at the bottle, waving, "hey guys. hope you're having a great dinner." she looks at me, but i don't say anything as mom and dad fill the void with small 'hi's.

she walks away, and i hear the footsteps on the stairs. "and that's your daughter?" dad asks. "yep," alicia sighs, "sorry. don't mind her." 

they back into talk about business, but all i could think about was how careless that girl was. i've seen her on the news and a few videos here and there. she seemed so professional when interviewed.

the parents stop talking as they hear a voice. "hey, connor and i are gonna get ice-cream," y/n says. i see her brother and her walk over to us, keeping a distance. "right now?" her dad asks. "no. christmas," she adds sarcasm, "yes, now." alicia looks at me, "would you like to like to get ice-cream, too?" oh god.

"oh, um," i chuckle awkwardly. "y/n, would you wanna take olivia too?" alicia asks y/n. with the way y/n was so upfront, i wouldn't be surprised if she said straight up 'no'.  "uh..." y/n looks at me and i wait for the rejection. "yeah. sure." 

"no i- you don't have to," i say. as much as i'd like to leave this table, i don't want y/n to feel pressured into taking me. "no, it's fine. come on," y/n says, turning around as her and connor walk away. 

i look at the table, and mom and dad give me smiles. "okay- i'm gonna go, then," i say, "sorry. excuse me." i pull out my chair, putting the napkin that was on my lap on my plate.

i walk in the direction of where y/n and connor walked away. i see y/n knelt down, putting connor's shoes on. she looks at me, "hi." "um, hey," i say, "i don't have to go." "you don't like ice-cream?" she asks, standing up. "no, i do," i say, "just... you know." "sorry. my mom kinda harassed you into going," she sighs, starting to walk to the door. she takes a pair of keys from the key holder that was on the door.

i follow her to a car in the big garage, and she opens the back door. "come on," y/n says, lifting connor into his seat. i watch and y/n looks at me. "you can get in," y/n says, "unless you'd like to be lifted and buckled in, too." i chuckle softly at her joke, shaking my head. i open the passenger door, getting in.

the car smelt clean. almost like a new car smell, but less intense. "okay," y/n shuts her door, buckling in. "so you do like ice-cream?" she asks, starting up the car. "yeah," i say. "taylor?" i hear connor say. maybe he mistook my name for taylor?

y/n chuckles, picking up her phone before she drives off. i smile, looking at the screen as 'death by a thousand cuts' started playing. i laugh, "connor likes taylor swift?" "oh, he loves her," y/n says, starting to drive out, "i think i play it so much in my room that he's adapted to it. he probably thinks she's the only artist in the world." i smile, looking out the window, "taylor's the best, so that's okay." "you listen to her?" she asks. "yeah," i say, "she was my top artist for, like, five years straight and running."

"thank you," i say as y/n pays. "no problem," she places her phone in her pocket. i got a cone, y/n and connor getting a cup. we sit at a table, connor and y/n together and me opposite y/n. "so..." y/n says after swallowing, "first dinner or what?" "no," i say, "been to more than i can count." y/n nods, "you don't... get sick of it?" "i do," i admit, "but there's nothing i can do about it."

y/n shakes her head as she mutters, "there is. you're just too scared to do something." "i'm sorry...?" i ask, making her look up at me. she sighs, looking around. "i was like you," she says, "going to dinners every day. just sitting there while they talk about business shit. being... a face for the social side of your parents." where was she going with this?

i take a lick of my ice-cream as i listen to her. "i've never had a real best friend before," she says, "before i was spending my hours at that thousands of dining tables." she was right. you barely don't have time to make friends. by the time you had gotten home from breakfast with one business, you were on your way to the next. 

"not sure about you, but it was bad for me," y/n continues, "i mean, it was obvious they didn't really care about it. just cared about how the family looked to the public. this... perfect family who knew each other inside and out. in reality, i don't even know if my parents know my favorite color." i nod understandingly.

"i was homeschooled until i graduated. had no friends," y/n says, "until i found out kids go to other kids houses to play and go trick-or-treating together, i thought it was normal to be confined for so long, you know?" "i know," i say. "i tried to convince myself it was better like this. what was there to complain about? a more than stable future. money. i could get anything i wanted," she says, "but i realized that was all that was good in my life. connor came along, and i just can't put him through that. i want him to make friends. go to those playdates... dress up as spider-man and go trick-or-treating with his friends. if i couldn't get those, it would still make me happy for him to get that, because he deserves it." i nod, biting my cone. "i would purposely 'go out' before dinner when i knew guests were coming over. i took my drivers license as soon as i could. i was sick of hearing 'oh, your daughter is perfect! what an amazing family you have'," she mocks. "i hear that all the time," say. "is it true?" she asks, looking at me as i think. "they... my parents do genuinely care about me," i say, "but i haven't had a friend where i can just... talk to. gossip to. talk shit to. i haven't even held hands with someone romantically. i just wanna make my parents proud, even if it means sitting at another dinner table tomorrow."

y/n looks away, "i thought like that, too." "when did you... get all 'rebellious'?" i ask. "um, a while ago," she answers, "sorry i- i'm not sure why i'm telling you this." "i'm here to listen," i say, "i wanna... understand." "if it makes you feel better, i haven't held hands with anyone romantically either," she scoffs. "that makes the two of us," i say. y/n nods, and we look at each other at the same time. i take the short time to look at her features. she looked just as pretty in real life. 

another a/n - i get notifications for my kate bishop books and i literally cringe inside i hate those books