THIRTEEN

Warning: Mature Content 🫥
——————————————————————————

The hike to Mira's was a fairly quiet one. Natty explained some more details of things she saw, heard, while being captive. Ominis tried to secure a plan for what we could do.

Sebastian said nothing. Not one word. The closer we got, the quieter he became. At one point, I was almost certain he was holding his breath. His body was stiff. His gaze stayed forward. He certainly was not listening to a single word that was said.

Ominis and Natty walked a bit ahead of us and I let myself fall back to stay beside Sebastian. The crunch of the leaves under his heavy boots was the only sound I could hear as we walked together.

I wondered what was running through his mind. Was he scared? Nervous? Absolutely and completely terrified like I was? The fear for me was rather large. Everyone around me had experience with Mira. They knew what to expect. I did not.

I couldn't handle the silence much longer. It wasn't like Sebastian to stay quiet. He was someone who needed to talk, to fill the air with his voice. To see him keep his mouth closed for over an hour now was, well, honestly an impressive feat that I was not sure he was truly capable of.

"Sebastian, about earlier-"

I paused hoping he would cut me off, speak up, interrupt me. All things he was normally good at, he suddenly refused to do. He continued walking, gaze forward, and saying not one word.

"You mentioned me staying safe. You said even if it means leaving."

Silence.

I was growing frustrated with his silence and cold attitude. He couldn't even say one word to me? One small sentence? Just something to let me know he was listening, he was here?

"Surely, you didn't mean that I just abandon everyone if something bad happens. I mean-"

"I meant exactly that."

Finally. He spoke.

"What? But, Sebastian-"

"Y/n-" He stopped and turned to me. He grabbed my shoulders with his hands sending a wave of electricity down my entire body.

"You have no idea what Mira is capable of. I know you're the kind of person to sacrifice yourself if things go...bad." He paused, looking deep into my eyes as he took a long breath.

"But if something were to happen to you, if...if you-"

I reached up and placed one hand on his cheek. Sebastian had the face of a fully grown man but, in moments like these, I could still sometimes see that broken Slytherin boy behind those hazel eyes.

"Nothing is going to happen. I'll make sure of that." I felt his head tilt ever so slightly as he rested against my hand. His eyes closed for a moment before opening back up revealing such an emptiness.

"What did she do to you?" I asked in a whisper. He almost seemed surprised by the question. He opened his mouth but no words came out. Just one shaky breath.

He took a step back, letting my hand fall to my side, and looked ahead of us.

"We better catch up." He started to walk forward but I grabbed his hand. He stopped in his tracks and looked back at me pulling on him. His face was confused.

"Y/n, what are you doing?"

I took a step forward, still holding his hand in mine, and let our faces slowly push together. I could hear Sebastian's breath increase as my lips met his.