ᦟ20

𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝟤𝟢——————————————————————

𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝟤𝟢
——————————————————————

THE NIGHT SKY embraced all earth once more. It's shining jewelry of stars adoring its deep blue body in a kind of elegance so incomparable. Light winds trotted through the air, hitting Marilee's face in gentle breezes. It carried the faint smell of salt and the sea itself.

The dry lands the group had wandered on not long ago had been replaced by the exact opposite — endless depths of the sea. Waves crashed against the hull of the vessel they had settled on, carrying them across the deep and broad waters.

Left Eye, though having fallen victim to the demons of his mind after his daughter's death, still was not forgotten as leader of the Strictland dumps. Thus, he as well had a few contacts that proved as useful when fleeing from the government and even more. Included into that, apparently, was the procurement of a ship, for that the Black Pirate's leaders were not held captive on mainland.

Not one even as much as complained about the change of transport method. A ship was much more preferable than walking miles on end by beneath the scorching glare of the sun. The slightly chilly winds on sea were welcomed with open arms.

The name 'DESTINY' was what caught Marilee's attention first as they had boarded the vessel; being carefully drawn onto its hull and giving the ship its name. Although the white color of the letters were not unscarred by time and the rough moods of the sea, it's crisp white color still held it's contrast to the dark wood below.

Marilee was yet again admiring the full moon shining in the sky like the sun at day, though more gentle and allowing one's gaze to linger. She sat tangled in the rigging of the ship, high above the deck as most of the group had retreated to the cabins they were given upon sunset. They needed their rest, Marilee thought, having gone through adrenaline charged experiences they were not used to.

Though, she wondered if one could really get used to the odds and dangers at all. Maybe she herself was far from it. No matter how many battles she had fought and how many losses she endured. It was a difficult lifestyle she had chosen.

Only the faint voices of the kids and Left Eye were heard in a small distance. The brunette wasn't too sure if the three had even been aware of her presence but she preferred to let them have their moment anyway. Marilee knew how much Left Eye cared about the children, just as she herself did. Although the man had his strange traits and behaviors at some point, it was a different matter when interacting with the kids.

He was a gentle and kind man at heart and it was only proven right in the joyous way he spoke and joked with the two kids. They sang and danced, a bit silly at that but it made Marilee's heart warm when she let out a small sigh. A sigh of relief and happiness she had not felt in quite a while.

She noticed the ropes to het right moving slightly, hearing the chains and wires rattle with the movement as a figure heaved themselves onto the spot next to her.

It took not longer than a second to recognize who it was. His stark red locks of hair glowed under the moonlight and his dark eyes shone with a bright glint to them. Mingi, she realized. The tall man who's counterpart of Strictland she even met as stoic bruiser. Or that's what her mind had told her what he was at first glance.

She would have never expected him to be as soft as he turned out to be. Though, only when not striking a nerve within him. The one who's company she now was in appeared no different.

"What brings you up here?" She questioned the other, slightly tilting her head in his direction as she met his eyes. His beautiful, deep eyes that hid so much more within than he was willing to let others see.

Mingi hesitated a bit, simply staring back into her teal iris that practically swallowed the different shades of night. Analyzing. Admiring.

"I realized I haven't thanked you yet." He spoke, his voice just as hushed as Marilee's while the laughter of Left Eye, Doli and Aoki still sounded from beneath the two. Mingi held up his bandages hand, the fabric hugging his skin; accurately covering each wound of his.

"It's nothing, really. Especially considering this whole situation is something none of you wanted to be part of in the first place." Marilee said, letting her eyes settle back onto the moon. She realized that late-night conversation seemed to become a regular thing. The only thing changing would be the member of the group, she thought, slightly amused.

It were times she enjoyed. Peaceful and silent and so full of comfort and trust that she could not help but smile at the thought. It helped her bond with the group. Nevertheless, she figured that maybe that was what she should avoid, for that they would part ways sooner or later anyway. The recent situation was not meant to last.

"Still." Was all Mingi responded to that, letting the topic fall as another thing piqued his interest a little more. He watched her looking at the moon — had actually noticed her absence each night ever since they arrived. She was always staying out late and the red-head simply couldn't help but ask about it. "You really like the night sky, don't you?"

Marilee chuckled, turning towards him again and catching his curious eyes, "I do," she said, a smile resting on her lips, "especially the moon." She whispered, closing her eyes and resting her head against the ropes stretching out behind her.

"Say, Mingi, are you familiar with the story of Icarus?" She asked. The man liked the way his name rolled off her tongue, he noticed, longing to hear it once more. But he concentrated on the question rather than that. It was a simple question as Mingi knew the answer quickly.

"Yes, it's that boy who fell in love with the sun, right?"

Marilee nodded slightly, "Icarus, the boy who's known nothing but darkness. He fell in love with the sun, the brightest light for us to exist. And with his wings crafted of wax, he flew right towards it. It was the first thing he could think of upon tasting freedom, and yet, if unintentionally by the sun itself, it burned his wings and he fell into the depths of the ocean."

"Kind of tragic." Mingi muttered, staring up at the sky where the sun was long gone and left nothing but the stars and the moon in its wake — in the darkness they knew as night.

"I think it was a foolish love." Marilee whispered, her eyes tired and body slightly sinking into itself as her muscles were strained from the long day. "It was the brightest source of light and he quite literally fell for what he was deprived of his whole life. But in the end, it was too much. The sun was too bright and too warm and too deceiving for him to see its danger below the surface of the blinding white."

She continued, her voice smaller and more tender as Mingi's full attention was caught by her words. "He should have fallen for the moon instead, don't you think so?" She asked, eyes already shut. "It's a little light, only supported by the sun from the far distance, and yet it appears so bright in the midst of all the darkness that the night harbors."

Her head fell against Mingi's shoulder as he reached up to stroke through the coffee shaded locks that she had for once kept completely loose. "The moon would have loved him back."