31. blood & love

The world tilted at the words that Rip had seen illuminate on the screen of his phone

Trouble at office... help

-Beth

Rip was pulling Spencer to her feet, shuffling to find clothes for the two of them to throw on as they ran out the door. Spencer followed, not sure what was going on.

"Beth's in trouble, call Kayce," Rip said, turning the truck on before the doors were even closed. "Tell Sawyer and Ryan to lay low, at least until we get this figured out."

Spencer was still a little bleary-eyed, but nodded as her exhaustion quickly faded at the sight of the gun Rip was handing her.

"Shit this is serious?"

Rip cursed, nodding as his calls to Beth remained unanswered. "Call Kayce."

Spencer scrambled for her phone, texting Spencer before letting the phone ring for Kayce. She held tightly to her phone and the handle on the door as Rip whipped the truck to the center of town.

"Spencer?"

"Beth's in trouble, Rip and I are on the way to her office. Get- get Dad, meet us there." Spencer rushed out, listening to Kayce shuffle around his room. "Kayce this could be really bad."

"She's gonna be alright Tiny, bitch is fireproof," Kayce laughed but even Spencer could hear how forced it was. "I'll see you soon Kiddo."

Spencer's panic began to set in as the truck pulled to a halt in front of the Scwhartz and Meyer building. The blacked-out SUV sitting with doors open, however, set her blood cold. She nodded once to Rip, letting him lead the way to Beth's office, forcing herself to stay a step behind despite her older sister's screams.

Rip moved quickly, shooting at the man who had Beth pinned, while Spencer shot the man standing over Beth's dead assistant. A third shot rang out, where Spencer didn't know but she threw her weight at the man, taking him to the ground as she straddled him.

"You like hitting women?" She hissed at him as she pinned him with a knee to his throat. "You're gonna fucking hate this then buddy."

She wasn't even sure what took over her, all she knew was that this man below her harmed her family, her sister, and he needed to pay. Despite her rage pulsing through her veins, Spencer felt more clear-headed than she had in weeks, a calm taking over her as she swung her fists down at the man.

"Spencer!" Kayce yelled as he pulled his sister off the man, barely hanging onto consciousness from the beating she had put on him. Spencer fought him, not realizing he was family and not another attacker. "Rip get your girl!"

Rip looked up from calming Beth, running to grab Spencer's hands. "It's me baby, it's me. Okay? It's me and Kayce. You did good Darlin' you did good."

Spencer huffed, slowing her arms long enough for Rip to wrap her up in his. She let him scan her face, her torso, every visible surface to look for that third bullet.