Fragmentary Chapter 5: Ocean

"......Is it okay now?"

"Not yet, just a bit more."

In the darkness, Mio was being guided by Shinji's hand.

That being said, it was not as if they had steeped into a steep cave where light would not reach, nor were they on an evening road not lit by a streetlight. Simply, it was because Mio was asked by Shinji to close her eyes for a moment.

Although it was not reassuring to have to walk forward with her vision closed, Mio felt neither worried nor afraid. —Surely, it was because Shinji was firmly holding Mio's hand.

It was truly—a mysterious feeling.

Just by feeling Shinji's presence through her palm and fingers, all concerns and fears naturally blew away.

What a strange, unfounded universal feeling. But also something unbearably comfortable. It was an extraordinarily inconceivable sensation for Mio.

"Alright, it's good now, Mio."

At that moment, Shinji had stopped his feet as he spoke.

"Un—"

Mio slightly nodded while slowly opening her closed eyes.

The next moment, a dazzling light stimulated Mio's eyes, which had gradually grown accustomed to the darkness.

Gradually afterwards, an image began to form from the pure white world—before being finally capturing the full view of the horizon "—Wow—!"

Sounds of admiration unexpectedly leaked out from Mio's throat.

First of all, there was so much blue that it couldn't be fully captured in her field vision.

Swaying blue planes whose vastness would not lose to even the sky.

There was reflected sunlight, the sound of the surging waves, and the strong scent stimulating the nose.

That's right, this was—

"—The ocean."

While looking at the various elements presented in front of her, Mio compared the scenery with the information store in her head.

Shinji nodded while gently smiling.

"Yeah, you said that you wanted to see it once, right?"

"Ah......"

Mio remembered after being told. Mio, who had been absorbing the knowledge from the books and videos picked up by Shinji, showcased a strong interest in the special environment that accounted for 70% of the Earth.

However, she did not expect Shinji to have remembered this. Mio felt her chest tighten.

"—I'm so happy. Thank you, Shin."

"Ah, uh......as long as you are happy."

Hearing this, Shinji smiled while with a bashful expression marking his face.

Mio returned the gesture with a sweet smile before running towards the beach.

"Ah, Mio!"

"Hehe."

Leaving her shoes behind with Shinji, the sound of splashing water was heard as Mio leaped into the sea.

As knowledge, this information had been obtained relatively early. When asked questions about the "sea", Mio could surely explain it in more detail than the ordinary person.

However, there was a severe difference between information stored in the mind and the level of detail and presences felt directly through the five senses.