Chapter 2: The Second Date

February 19th, the forecast called for clear morning skies.

Naturally, for Shidou who had already experience this day before, he wasn't worried about the weather. Even if there was the possibility that history would now change because of the behavior of people, it was unlikely that the weather would also change.

There were a sporadic amount of pedestrians near Tenguu Station this morning. Perhaps, due to being a day of rest, the number of people heading to the train station to play was much more than the usual amount of students departing for school.

The time was 9:50 a.m. There was still ten minutes before the promised meeting time. Shidou nervously gulped as he glanced at the clock in the center of the station to reconfirm the time.

"......No, no."

Noticing this anxious feeling within himself, Shidou pressed his hand against his chest to adjust his breathing. Even through his shirt, sweater, and thick coat, the violent rhythm from his heart pulsating was felt at his fingertips.

There was no use being nervous. But this tension was not from fear, but rather from the feelings of uneasiness in the expectations for this date with Reine.

Indeed, Reine—Mio had killed all of the Spirits in the future world. Rewriting the future from that despair was Shidou's goal.

However, he had to avoid the date with Reine becoming solely focused as a means to an end.

Today, Shidou was looking forward to the date from the bottom of his heart and must allow Reine to also enjoy it as well. To go even farther, in order to get Reine to fall in love with Shidou—even if that was impossible—he must get her to open her heart to him.

For this reason, he had to abolish all doubts and fears of her.

"—It's about time. Reine also just left <Fraxinus> a while ago. She should be there soon.

—Are you ready?"

As if having read through Shidou's heart, Kotori's voice echoed from somewhere far off.

Nevertheless, Shidou was not wearing his usual headset for capturing Spirits on his right ear.

The type used for Spirits would have been noticed by Reine, who had been participating in all of the captures up until now. As a result, the latest bone conduction type communication machine was attached to his neck.

Although Shidou thought that if there was a more convenient style, it would have been better to use it earlier......but the feeling of usage was certainly different. Still, there was no issue for complaints since thanks to this; conversations could now be overheard under Reine's notice.

"......Ah."

Shidou gently exhaled as he let out a voice below a whisper.

Honestly, saying that he had no fears would be a lie.

However—it wasn't difficult to think that Shidou would sincerely enjoy this date.

Right now within Shidou, the memories of Takamiya Shinji have been stirred awake by Mio.

Moreover, Shinji loved Mio, liking her so much to the point it couldn't be helped.

It was yearning so strong that it felt like it would scorch. An intense affection, a wave of rampant emotions that Shidou feared would overwhelm himself.

That wasn't right—speaking more accurately, it wasn't only that. Shidou suddenly closed his eyes and recalled his first meeting with Murasame Reine.

It was about ten months ago from now. After the first time Shidou encountered a Spirit, he had woken up in the infirmary on <Fraxinus> with Reine right beside him. Looking back now, the voice he had heard in his dreams must have been her voice.