Chapter 11: Home Sweet Home, Never Trip Alone

Sunlight slanted in through the cabin wall, prying open Kelly's eyelids. The warmth on her face was invited, but the volume of light in her eyes throbbed right into her brain. Slowly, she lifted herself up on an elbow and peered around. Dogmeat was absent, and so was Danse. Probably on patrol or taking a piss. Both things could apply to either of them.

Pushing herself up fully, Kelly was reminded of the many cuts on her hands. She lifted them before her eyes to inspect the field dressings Danse had given her, and she remembered the feel of his hands on hers. Hands that were firm and calloused from years of use and experience, but so very gentle. That simple skin-on-skin contact had set her insides blooming, and when he had pulled her into him to comfort her, it was something she had never expected him to do. She recalled flirtatiously asking him once if he would hold her if she ever needed it, like he had with Haylen. Remembering the look on his face and how he had stumbled over his words made a grin sneak up on her.

Danse snuck up on her just then, appearing in the doorway in power armor with his rifle casually in hand. "Ah, good to see some rest has done you well," he greeted with a pleased smile. He looked a little tired himself, however, with darkness hazing around his eyes. Kelly quickly wondered how often he had come in to check on her while she slept. "How are you feeling?" he added after she returned his smile.

"Better. Thanks... for last night."

His smile stayed in place, but his face softened a notch, along with his voice. "I'm glad I could be of some help."

There was a slight silence, but Dogmeat quickly shattered it by barging in through Danse's legs and scampering over to Kelly with ears back and tail wiggling excitedly. She greeted him in her usual way, let him sniff her wounded hands, and then watched in surprise as he darted back over to Danse and sat right at his feet as if it was nothing new.

Danse made a grumbling sound. "I think there's something wrong with Dogmeat. He insists on following me everywhere I go. It's becoming quite irritating."

Kelly considered his almost child-like complaint, the complete look of seriousness on his face, and then the all-too-perfect picture of him standing there with a scowl as Dogmeat sat happily at his feet. She snorted out her laughter.

Danse took on a look of dismay. "Why are you laughing? This behavior could mean he doesn't trust me with your safety. He's liable to turn aggressive at any moment."

"Danse," Kelly quieted him with her hand, still laughing softly. "It's not because he doesn't trust you. You saved his life out in the Rad Lands. I'm sorry to say that he's going to be eternally grateful."

The man's thick eyebrows ascended in the revelation, and slowly, he looked down at the canine, who was now looking back up at him with his tongue lolling out to one side. His tail gave a slight wiggle at the eye contact.

Kelly mashed her lips together to suppress further laughter. This was too perfect. Danse had always had reservations about Dogmeat tagging along on their adventures, but now he would be forced to deal with the canine on a more personal level. The two of them together like that was the most adorable thing she had seen since... since... Nate and Shaun had learned to laugh together...

She felt the sudden dip in her mood like a weight in her chest. Were Danse and Dogmeat subconsciously her replacements for her husband and son? Was she that messed up that she was finding excuses to cling to any resemblance of her past?