Chapter 12: In This Together

Clay-Crawler was absorbed in his surroundings. The walls were all metal, all bolted, all strong. He never knew so much metal existed. And the lights, they were so bright, hunting him down without the faltering of fire. Strange, alien objects were scattered across benches and other surfaces. He had never been anywhere like this before. All he knew was dust and rock and fire. And blood. Lots of blood.

He observed as scientists fluttered all about him, poking and prodding his extremities, lurking over his head where the creature still clung, barely looking him in the eye. They rarely spoke to him, either. Sometimes they would ask him questions: Can you move this? Can you feel that? Does this hurt? He wanted to be the one asking questions and being answered, but they ignored him when he tried.

At least he wasn't hungry. That was something new to him. Hunger had always been a companion to him. A constant, deep, aching companion. But here, he was fed food he had never encountered before. It was odd. Not bad, just odd. He preferred flesh.

The Boss-Man had come to visit again, the one in the heavy, luxurious coat with the dark, cold gaze. His presence was ominous, eyes evoking a certain foreboding. Clay-Crawler watched him with interest as he approached, meeting his eye briefly.

"Any further progress, Scribe Ketway?" Boss-Man asked evenly, halting at the foot of Clay-Crawler's medical cot, securing his hands behind his back.

Ketway glanced up from his notes with perked eyes. He had obviously missed the Elder's entrance. "Elder Maxson, yes indeed, we're just about set to begin the procedure. There are still a fair lot of unknowns, however. We simply don't know what to expect when we remove the specimen. If there are any further questions you would like to ask the subject, I advise you ask them now, in case he doesn't recover."

"Very well." Boss-Man looked upon Clay-Crawler with eyes devoid of emotion. "Are you willing to co-operate if I ask you some more questions, raider?"

Clay-Crawler nodded, engrossed in Boss-Man's thick beard. None of the leaders in the Blood Lands had beards. It was too hot, and there were lice. "Yes. Will answer."

"Good. You've already given us all the intel we would ask from you, but these next few questions will be of a more off-topic nature. However, they are no less vital to our operations going ahead. Do you understand?"

Again, Clay-Crawler nodded. "Yes. Do understand."

Boss-Man wasted no time. "What does The Sight mean to you?"

"The Sight!" Clay-Crawler's attention grew tenfold. "Sight speaks to spirit people. Shows things. Helps all. Leaders, and slaves."

"And who are these spirit people?"

"Meek. Eye Daddy. Meek... nice. Helpful. Eye Daddy... helpful. Not as nice."

Boss-Man's icy eyes sharpened on him, and Clay-Crawler felt his submissive nature bend to his will in response. "You had said that this Sight told you of Knight Harper, that you would find her." When Clay-Crawler frowned at that, Boss-Man provided a terse, "Kelly."

"Ah! Yes! Kelly. The Whisper."

"The Whisper?"

"Yes. The Whisper. Sad eyes. Angry eyes. Meek called her Whisper. The Kelly." He watched as the bearded man frowned at him in suspicion. Did he not like him? But he had answered all of their questions.