Chapter 30

"Achilles!"

    Achilles turned to face his cousin. "What is it?"

    "Agamemnon wants you to attend the final war council before we set sail for Troy." Patroclus looked at the younger man with caution.

    "Piss on Agamemnon. Attend in my stead."

    The older man hesitated. "Your anger is justified—"

    "Attend in my stead," Achilles said again evenly. "I will not face that pig of a man anymore than I have too."

    "It isn't wise to offend Agamemnon, cousin. The man has a brutal streak you would regret bringing down on the head of Phthia."

    "Only if he should return from the beaches of Troy." Achilles tightened his hands on the rope he was braiding and it snapped.

    Patroclus shook his head. "I will leave you."

    Achilles watched his cousin and second in command walk towards the center of the encampment. Feeling the need to leave behind the wretchedness of the day, Achilles dropped his broken rope and walked into the sea. He took a breath and slipped his head underwater. Achilles focused and willed his body to change. Many of his muscles stretched while others contorted, it was over quick and soon he was swimming as a dolphin under the waves.

    🐬

    "What have you done?" Patroclus was unamused as he came on deck. "Why are we not with the rest of the fleet?"

    "Traveling with the fleet is tiresome. There's a reason I ordered us to be on the side instead of in the center." Achilles stood at the helm of his lead boat. Seven other boats, the rest of his Myrimdons, followed their leader as they broke from the invasion force in the night. "We are going to hit the Trojans from the side while everyone else attempts a frontal assault."

    "That's not what was planned. When Agamemnon-"

    "How many times do I have to tell you? I don't care what Agamemnon wants or thinks. Are we not here for his brother's wife? Why should Agamemnon be in charge of us? Despite what he seems to think, this isn't his war."

    Patroclus sighed. "You've become even more stubborn as you've grown, as feat as impressive as it should be impossible."

    "And you've grown grey. When we first met your entire head was darker than the night. Now it's shot through with spider webs."

    Patroclus laughed. "Not all men are blessed with long years. I hope you are. I'm only fifteen or so years older than you. Being your guardian aged me prematurely."

    "Signal the others to make ready for landing," Achilles shouted. The sun overheard darkened as an eclipse took hold.

    "We're going to miss the first part of the battle, if not the entire fight thanks to this folly," Patroclus crossed arms. "It would be helpful if the heavens didn't announce your presence everywhere you went."

    Achilles slapped the other man on the back. "No, we won't. We will be right on time. I've asked my mother for a favor. The larger fleet will be delayed long enough for us to get in position. The darkening can't be helped, as you well know. It's a warning for the rest of you when a mortal with a dual fate gets near."

    "Thank the gods there aren't more of you," Patroclus muttered.

    "There's at least one other," Achilles looked up to see an owl circling overhead. He felt something off about the creature. It'd been circling his vessel on and off for three days. "Perhaps closer than I realize."