Chapter 32

My dearest Briseis,

    The wind has brought destruction upon Troy. The city itself remains untouched, of course, but the Greeks have landed on our shores. I watched the first battle from the city wall, the others tried to dissuade me as Hector rode forth to face the invaders.

    Luckily, my husband returned with only minor injures, though a cloud of shame surrounds him. We lost the first battle and now siege is our daily reality. It's so strange watching life go on within the walls while an army determined to destroy us sits not far away. Especially on days when there is no battle being fought, it can be hard to believe how precarious our situation is.

    Hector speaks of many opponents which caught his eye during the four battles that have been fought outside our walls. One is Ajax, his cousin whom he speaks of often. Despite never having met, there is no doubt the giant man with a war hammer is the son of Priam's long lost sister. Hector has not faced him in battle, and is reluctant to do so on account of their shared blood.

    Agamemnon races his chariot before his troops with Menelaus by his side. The brothers are a fierce pair and have refused to fight Hector as it's Paris they want. It stresses Hector to know the kingly brothers, and the rest of the Greeks, are laughing at us on account of Paris. Paris is the cause of this calamity, and thus far, he has refused to join the battle with Hector and the rest of his brothers.

    Tales of Paris' cowardice are being told throughout the city. Even Priam, who wouldn't hear anything bad about Paris even after he brought Helen here, seems to be shamed by Paris' refusal to fight. Hecuba takes Paris' side saying he grew up a bull herder and has no skill in combat, though she still denounces his actions by flinging spoken barbs at Helen whenever they meet.

    Deiphobus and Hector are continuingly frustrated with Paris but there is nothing to be done. Deiphobus is railing about the absence of the master of the black ships from the battles. He is said to be Achilles, Prince of Phthia whom is rumored to be immortal. Since the first battle Achilles has occupied himself with sacking cities around Troy. He's taken two so far. Deiphobus is very angry Priam will not let any of his sons away from Troy to fight against the sacking of our allies. Priam wants his sons here to protect Troy, but Deiphobus is nearly foaming at the mouth to test himself against Achilles.

    My friend, I worry about you. I haven't heard from you since the night of your wedding and it's been a month since that day. I know not why you don't write, and I can't help but notice owls are around Troy in such quantities that haven't been seen since your visit, from this I take you are alive. I don't know what this persistent silence means but the longer it goes on the more worried I become. I will keep writing you in hopes whatever situation you're in changes.

    I have a happy bit of news to share. I am with child once more. Pray to your godly sire in hopes this pregnancy ends better than the last I endured during your visit.

    Take care and write as soon as you are able,

    Andromache

    Briseis rolled up the scroll and sighed. Nike had flown in under the cover of night, thankfully she was a mostly nocturnal owl with dark coloring as a bonus, and had been able to avoid being shot at. Briseis sighed and watched as Nike flew out of the city, back to Troy where life was safer. Briseis made a habit of walking along the castle balconies in the evening. Kegarta had recovered well enough to take up some of her normal duties, and would have accompanied her, but Briseis found herself craving solitude.

    In addition to giving her solitude, these walks allowed Briseis to be outside in case Nike did arrive with letters. Briseis wasn't sure if Umna's soldiers were still under orders to shoot at owls, but so far none had shot at Nike, or they hadn't noticed her yet. Even still, Briseis always sent the creature away from the city immediately after she'd taken the letter from the capsule. She was already taking enough chances, Briseis didn't feel like adding another.