Chapter 4: Forest of Death

"Alright! Listen up you maggots!" Anko, the proctor for the second phase of the Chuunin Exams shouted, her voice carrying through the ranks of Genin chatting amongst themselves.

Everyone stopped what they were doing to turn to look at the small, yet extremely foreboding proctor.

"The second phase of the exams is simple but deadly. Each team will be given either a Heaven scroll or an Earth scroll. It's the team's mission to retrieve both scrolls and then reach the tower in the middle of the Forest of Death by the fifth day. You cannot open your scrolls to look at what's inside them, and this is an all out life or death exam. Everything goes in the Forest of Death. Not only will you have the other teams to contend with, but, there will be wild animals, venomous insects, and poisonous plants. It will take all of your knowledge and skills to survive these next five days."

The Genin began chatting amongst themselves, quietly talking strategy as the dangerous words from their proctor began to set in. This meant that only half of the teams here would pass. As a very best case scenario. But, with all the odds stacked against them, it seemed unlikely that even half would be able to make it through the second phase of the Chuunin Exams.

Anko's voice suddenly turned almost joyful as she held up a stack of papers, "Which is why we have waivers. Don't want anyone trying to sue us if you end up dead. You maggots have twenty minutes to fill out these waivers and return them to the signup desk to receive your scroll. After that, get to your gates and wait for the exams to begin!"

Everyone got in line to grab their waivers and teams scattered around the signup desk, milling about as they discussed plans for when they entered the Forest of Death.

"I say we charge in, find the first team we can find, and beat them in a fight with the Power of Youth and take their scroll!" Lee shouted, bouncing from foot to foot as he stared longingly at the giant walls that marked the Forest of Death.

"Lee, we wouldn't even know if that team has the scroll we need. The best strategy would be to find a team, observe the team and see if they have the scroll we need. Then attack if we believe it's something we can easily win. We also have to take into account we need to survive in there for a few days, the teams are going to be spread out and there are going to be teams potentially stronger than us. There are teams that we need to avoid at all costs," Hisako replied, watching Lee prance in place from a safe distance.

Neji let out a sigh and stood up from the rock he was leaning against, "Hisako's right. We'll need to be smart about this. Come on, let's go turn in these waivers and get our scroll so we can find an entrance gate,"

Hisako and Lee followed Neji to the signup booth that was blocked by walls so no other team could see who got what scroll. Team Guy ended up getting a Heaven scroll. Hisako placed it in her bag and they were assigned to gate 41. The exams weren't going to start for another thirty minutes which meant they had time to waste.

Neji was leaning against the wall of the Forest of Death as Hisako approached him. He cracked one eye open as she approached. She gave him a small smile as she leaned back against the wall with him, resting her foot on the wall as she held a small box in her hands. She was going to wrap it up since it was his birthday gift, but she decided against it given she wasn't sure where they would throw the paper away. Well, they could have burned it maybe. They could still burn the box.

"What's that?" Neji asked motioning to the box in Hisako's hands.

"It's for you," Hisako replied, handing him the box, "I know your birthday is coming up soon and we're gonna be busy during the second phase of the Chuunin Exams so I wanted to give it to you now. In case I don't get the chance later,"