Chapter 17: The Elemental Staff Returns

The recovery was grueling and long. There were times Hisako questioned her strength and her ability to endure the pain. But, she somehow did. With the help of Neji and her close friends, she was able to pull through.

"This will be your first day returning to duty since the Chuunin Exams," Neji said quietly.

He held her close, her head resting on his shoulder as she sighed in relief.

"I finally feel okay again. I know this isn't over, but, for the first time in a long time, I finally feel like I'm going to make it," Hisako whispered, her hand resting over the faded scar over her chest. "I'm excited to be returning to duty."

Neji's arm tightened around her for just a moment. "Promise me you won't push yourself too hard. Your heart is still fragile. Just stay back and offer us support. You're a specialist in Ninjutsu. Use that to your advantage,"

Hisako nodded. "I'll relent this time."

Neji stood up, helping Hisako stand up with him. "Until you get a new heart, you'll only act as support on missions."

Hisako couldn't resist sticking her tongue out at Neji, resting her hands on her hips. Neji frowned, but there was a light in his eyes: joy that Hisako hadn't seen in a long time.

"Come on, it's time to report to Lady Hokage's office for our mission assignment." Neji said.

Hisako and Neji jumped down from the hill they were on, Hisako following close behind Neji.

"It's still kinda crazy," Hisako began, "Lady Tsunade, the legendary healer, Sannin of the Leaf, granddaughter to the legendary First Hokage, is now the Fifth Hokage. It's crazy how everything just kinda came full circle, you know? And, even though I've only known her from the interactions I've had with her in regard to my medical state, I can already tell she'll be good for this village. I'm excited to serve her."

Neji looked at her over his shoulder. "And you're able to tell all of that just by the brief interactions you've had with her?"

Hisako nodded, smiling. "She has a kind heart. She cares for the wellbeing of people. She has the blood of the First Hokage running through her veins. She'll be perfect."

Neji shook his head. "Let's just see how she does first."

"What? You doubt my ability to read people?" Hisako teased as they landed in front of the Hokage's Estate.

"I'll admit, you can read people well, but, you can't just rely on your gut feelings all the time."

Hisako shrugged as she followed Neji through the halls of the estate. They entered Lady Hokage's office and found Guy Sensei and Naruto already present.

Lee was another patient that Lady Tsunade was seeing. However, Lee's condition was more complicated than Hisako's. Lady Tsunade had to create a brand new procedure that could be fatal to Lee in order to allow him to heal and return to active duty as a Shinobi. So, for the moment, Lee was still out of commission. But, Hisako had faith that he would pull through with Lady Tsunade to aid in his healing.

"Good, you're all here," Lady Tsunade said by way of greeting.

She looked so casual, so at ease, as she sat at the Hokage's chair at the Hokage's desk. A pang of grief washed through Hisako at the sight. To know that Lord Hokage the Third would never sit in that chair again. But, she couldn't grieve forever. She had to look towards the future. And the future was here. Sitting in this chair. The future was the children of this village. And Hisako had to protect it.

Lady Tsunade's honey brown eyes drifted from one shinobi to the other, and there was a pause of silence before she finally rose from her seat coming to stand in front of the team. Tonton, her pig, oinked from Lady Shizune's arms.