Chapter 7: Reasons for Fighting

Thankfully, the food was edible. The beds, although extra firm, somehow felt like fluffy clouds compared to the hard ground they have become accustomed to sleeping on during the Chuunin Exams.

Team Guy only had one night to recover from the ordeal of the second exam. Which, didn't feel like enough time at all. They were one of the last to finish the exams, no thanks to the fight with Orochimaru. Hisako couldn't believe it. One of the three legendary Sanin of the Leaf Village, Orochimaru, had infiltrated the Chuunin Exams and she somehow had the bad luck of ending up on his radar. How that even happened, Hisako had no idea.

All she knew, was her luck couldn't get much worse than that right?

Between being a target for the Yami Clan, and being a high profile prize on the black market because of that, Orochimaru now wanted her. And she had no idea why. To top it all off, according to Neji, he also attacked Sasuke. Which meant that Hisako wasn't alone. But, that also meant that Orochimaru is interested in Uchihas, great.

The next day, Hisako stood in a new arena. All of the contestants who passed the Forest of Death were here. Sasuke's team, Hinata's team, Ino's team, and obviously Gaara's team passed as well as a few other teams she didn't recognize. But, she was more than familiar with the team from the Sound Village. The man with both arms in slings, and then the other man with the now broken gauntlet thanks to Hisako. A part of her still couldn't believe that she had done that. That Hisako would have wanted to kill as much as she had at that moment.

Just remembering that moment was enough to terrify her.

"First of all, congratulations on finishing the second exam!" Anko shouted.

The teams were all standing in front of higher up Chuunin and Jonins, Lord Hokage was among them. The teams of Genin chatted amongst themselves and Hisako even noticed the Jonin chatting together. Specifically Guy Sensei and Kakashi Sensei.

Whatever they were talking about, was almost comical to watch. Hisako couldn't make out their words but bit back a laugh as Guy Sensei let out a random screech, his hands coming up to grab his hair in aggravation from whatever Kakashi Sensei had told him. Whatever Kakashi Sensei said, really pissed Guy Sensei off.

She watched Neji's gaze turn to Sasuke and her gaze followed. Sasuke was looking ahead, disinterested in what was going on around them. A part of her wanted to talk to him, to see what had happened to him, see if he was okay. But, now wasn't the time for that. She had to concentrate on the next phase of the exams.

"All right! Pay attention, Lord Hokage is going to explain the third exam to you. You better pay attention, maggots!" Anko shouted, silencing the crowd from their chattering immediately.

For a small woman, Anko sure was terrifying. Anko bowed to Lord Hokage and Lord Hokage stepped up, clearing his throat to address everyone who passed.

"First of all, before I explain the third exam, I want to explain something about the test itself. Listen closely now. It's something that all of you need to understand. I'm going to tell you the true purpose of these exams,"

This grabbed the Genin's attention and everyone went silent to listen to Lord Hokage's words.

"Why do you suppose our country holds these exams in conjunction with our allies? To raise the ability levels of the shinobi and to increase friendship between allied nations to be sure. But it's important that you understand its true meaning. The exams are, so to speak," he paused, taking a hit from his pipe before letting the smoke wither around him, "They're a representation of the battle between allied nations."

Everyone gasped at those words, and people squirmed where they stood. Hisako fiddled with the threads on her kimono, her green eyes glued to Lord Hokage as he spoke. She has come to realize that Lord Hokage was one of the wisest people she's ever met. And she wanted to take all of his words to heart.