Silent Treatment

Riy'Lea

"Riy'lea? Are you okay?" Tsireya questions the girl laying on the sand. She opens her eyes in response of hearing a voice. As she stands up she looks at her sister and walks straight past her. "I guess she is still mad." Tsireya mumbles to herself.

She and Riy'lea have been fighting for 3 weeks now, and despite Tsireya's efforts Riy'lea refuses to speak to her. In fact she refuses to speak to anyone; the girl has always been stubborn. But this time it worried Tsireya.  Riy'lea stormed in to her family's pod, startling her brother and his friend. "Still mad Lea?" He looked at her with a look of hope that she would finally speak to him. Nothing. He sighed and turned his attention back to Rotxo. As Lea sat there playing with a shell she found earlier, she thought about what happened between her and her sister.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3 weeks earlier

Tsireya ran  into her family's pod jumping with excitement. she scanned the room looking for her sister and found her in the corner making a new necklace out of white and blue shells. "Lea guess what!" Riy'lea looked up and the sound of her voice and hummed a response. " So you know that one boy that you saw at our last festival?" She paused for a minute awaiting a response before continuing. "Well I saw one of his friends and I was talking to him and I told him that you liked his friend! Then I asked if he could help me get you two together, and he said yes!" Riy'Lea immediately stopped what she was doing and looked at her sister.

"You did what?" As she said that her voice went up an octave in the end. Tsireya didn't seem to notice, as she kept speaking on about how they would make a cute couple and a bunch of other things. Riy'Lea sat in her thoughts. Maybe this was good for her? She never really talked to anyone in the village anyway. It wasn't always by choice though. Everyone her age thought she was strange and always treated her differently than her siblings. It was as if they didn't respect her. She too is the chief's daughter and deserved respect. She pretended not to care; as that was what she is supposed to do. It was her role in her family. She is the strong one, she doesn't care what people think about her when deep down she really does. She cares deeply, she strives to be perfect. She tries to be as good and her brother Aonung. But ends up in his shadow. She tries to be a good role model to her younger sister but it seems she looks up more to their brother. This was her chance to prove that she's not strange, her chance to prove that she deserves respect too. 

"Hello? Lea? were you listening to anything I said?" Tsireya waved a hand in Riy'Leas face to snap her out of her trance.

"Oh, Yeah I heard you." She  smiled sheepishly, embarrassed that she hadn't heard anything Tsireya had said.

Tsireya's face was suddenly full of worry,"Are you okay? You've been really distant and out of it lately," She placed a hand her Lea's shoulder trying to comfort her, "I'm here if you need to talk?"

Riy'Lea placed her hand on her sisters, "Yes I'm fine," she paused for a minute to think everything over, "But where is this boy so I can speak to him?" She coyly smiled, and just as she did her sisters eyes went wide and full of excitement. Before Riy'Lea could even blink Tsireya was dragging her out of the pod to a secluded area on the beach. As they were walking they went past Aonung and his friends. Riy'Lea tried to go over and speak to him but Tsireya dragged her back by her arm and screamed,

"Nope! We have no time for skxawngs." She quickly waved at their brother and kept speed walking.

Once they arrived Riy'Lea took in her surroundings. They were on the edge where the beach meets the forest. Riy'Lea took a second to look at the sky to help calm herself. Eclipse was beginning and the sky were different hues of purple and orange as she could see the stars peaking through. She felt a little more at ease; the sky during eclipse was always the one of the only things that could calm the girl when she was feeling uneasy. As she looked back down she noticed the boy from the festival walking over. Tsireya noticed too and ran off, but not before giving the girl and encouraging thumbs up. Riy'lea looked over to the boy and she felt so nervous that she was visibly shaking. Not so much to where he could notice immediately but only if he got close enough. And he did.