1 week later

"Meerab ye kab uthe gi?" Murtasim whispered.

("When is she going to wake up Meerab?")

Meerab tried to suppress her smile. Murtasim couldn't seem to take his eyes off the crib where Meesam slept.

It had been a week since she walked back into the Khan Mansion. Sometimes she still felt out of place in this house, with the events that happened on the day she returned, Haya pushing her and Meesam and the threat lacing her eyes, she was still on the fence about Meesam's safety and her own. But it was moments like these, where Murtasim would stare at his daughter with childlike wonder in his eyes, that made her confident that she'd made the right decision to give this family another chance.

"Bas uthne he vali hogi" Meerab replied softly

("Any time now")

"Yar tumne ek ghante phele bhi yehi bola tha!"Murtasim clapped back.

("But you said that an hour ago!" )

Meerab couldn't help but chuckle at his whining.

Murtasim had been trying hard to mould himself into the role of an ideal father. It had not been 1 day since her return when he had already raided every toy store in the city and brought every single piece of clothing and toy that caught his attention. Meerab had gaped at the sheer number of shopping bags Bhaktu and Murtasim had carried inside their room. Murtasim's chest puffed up slightly at her reaction, proud of himself for doing a good job.

"Choti Bachi hai vo Murtasim, usse siraf khana, khelna aur sona aata hai"

("She's a toddler Murtasim, all they do is eat, play and sleep.")

Meerab had noticed that Meesam did nap for a lot longer than usual. The Khan Mansion was a huge new place for Meesam to explore. She was curious about all the things the house had to offer and was running around all day. But Meerab wasn't going to say this out loud, lest Murtasim buys Meesam a mini car so "his princess doesn't tire herself out"

"Mai utha du kya isse?" Murtasim finally turned from his position on the bed and looked back at Meerab. He was lying face down, still in his day clothes, facing Meesam's crib at the end of their bed.

("Should I wake her up?")

"Khabardar" Meerab gritted her teeth, a slight threat lacing her voice. " Aadhi neend mai uthegi toh rona nahi band karegi"

("Don't you dare" )("She's gonna be cranky and won't stop crying")

Murtasim let out an animated sigh, not bothering to hide his disappointment.

Meerab rolled her eyes and got out of bed. Walking towards their bedroom door she turned around and looked at him "Mai apne liye chai banane lagi hu, tum loge?"

("I'm gonna go make myself some tea, do you want some?")

Murtasim's heart warmed at her offer. Murtasim from a week ago had given up all hope of ever seeing his Meerab and now here she was, offering to make tea for him. As if they had been in following this routine for ages, as if they hadn't spent 2 torturous years apart. It was a small gesture but it meant the world to him. "Yes please" he replied softly and watched her as she nodded and left their room.

About 5 minutes later Murtasim heard Meesam let out a soft whine. She stretched and sat up in her bed only to look around and realise her mother was missing. And then came the waterworks.

Murtasim panicked, rushing to her to pick her up. Meesam looked at the strange man who was definitely not her mother and cried harder all the while trying to wriggle her way out of his grip.