Double Date

It took them two hours to drive to the restaurant and they had been... eventful to say the least.

"Fuck Cocomelon man fuck them" Murtasim grumbled to Meerab as a waiter escorted them to their table.

"Mera maan kar raha hai case kardu inpe"she replied with equal fervour.
(Tell me about it, I'm seriously considering suing them)

They had started their journey as usual. Murtasim drove, while Meerab on the passenger seat with Meesam on her lap and chose songs for them to sing along to.

But sitting still for 2 hours was an impossible feat that Meesam had yet to achieve. She had lasted a whole 10 minutes before she got jumpy and irritable and Murtasim had the genius idea to play her favourite song to distract her.

The plan worked brilliantly. Meerab was immediately distracted the second 'baby shark' started blaring through the car speaker.

It was adorable at for the first 20 minutes. Murtasim and Meerab would sing along, and Meesam would dance and sing excitedly. But then the minutes stretched on. The song kept playing on loop and Meesam refused to let them play anything else.

What had started off as an innocent sing along had turned into an absolute torture session. Murtasim and Meerab had gotten sick of the song after the first hour. By the time they reached their location they felt like their ears would fall off. But Meesam wouldn't care any less. The girl kept blabbering the same song with full energy.

Now they made their way to the table where Saba and Faarukh were already seated. They greeted each other and passed pleasantries before finally settling down.

As they ordered their food Meerab couldn't help but notice the glow on her friends' faces.

She was a little worried about Faarukh. He was still the same simple and kind man she had met on that gloomy night all those years ago, but he looked so much happier with Saba... like he'd finally found purpose, something to ground him. She knew that he was worried about the allegations society and Saba's extended family would put on him...That he was only marrying her for her money, that he was seducing Saba to elevate his social status and that she was naive enough to fall for him...he had told her as much himself. But Meerab knew better. Faarukh had a heart of gold. She couldn't have hoped for a better man than him to marry her best friend and she would support him in every step of the way.

The dinner was a fun distraction from the otherwise monotonous routine Meerab had. The four of them enjoyed their food as they chatted about the pair's upcoming nuptials.

3 hours seemed to had gone by in a flash. Meerab could see her daughter's eyes become droopy with sleep and she knew it was time to call it day.

As the waiter to bring the bill and Murtasim took his wallet out.. only for Saba to interrupt in a flurry of protests.

"Nahi nahi, how can you be paying the bill? This dinner was supposed to be a treat for my wedding. You have got to let me pay" she insisted

"I never got a chance to properly thank you guys for being there for us the day Meesam got sick. Please, I insist" Murtasim replied instantly as if he had already anticipated this reaction.

"And I'm older than you so I am paying" he said, his tone leaving no room for argument.

As they waited for their bill and mouth fresheners Murtasim got up, excusing himself to go to the washroom. He looked over at Farrukh and gestured him to follow him.

They walked a safe distance away from their table. Murtasm led Faarkh to the secluded corner outside the restaurant.

"Acha tumhe cigarette break leni thi?" Faarukh guessed looking at their surroundings
(Ah so you wanted a cigarette break?)
"Nahi.. meesam me aane ke baad se maine kabhi cigarette nahi pi" he replied plainly.
(No... I don't smoke anymore. Not since Meesam)