Trips to the ER

A/N: Cliffhanger. You've been warned :)
~~
Meerab was enjoying her day out with Saba. They had spent 4 hours doing wedding shopping while catching up on gossip and scuffing gol gappas from every street vendor they could find.

Finally, they sat down for lunch. Farrukh had joined them and she was all set to interrogate them about their relationship.

After a few minutes of bantering and ordering food Meerab finally decided to text Murtasim to check what her dear husband and daughter were up to.

To her surprise, Murtasim had already sent her a message with an attachment an hour ago. Eager to look at the image Meerab quickly opened the message and started gushing immediately. Murtasim had excellent selfie skills, he'd clicked a photo of the two of them. Murtasim looked adorable in an apron and Meesam sat behind him, her face slathered in ice cream. They were having all the fun without her! She almost pouted at the sight.
But her smile dropped the second she noticed something in the background. Was that a strawberry in Meesam's hand? She zoomed the picture and squinted her eyes to see better, almost in denial.

"Guys is that a strawberry you see?" She flipped her phone over for Saba and Farukh to see.
Farukh look at Meerab, realising what this meant. Meerab's expression transformed from confusion to horror in a split second.

All three of them jumped out of their seats and made their way to the car while called Murtasim.

It went on voice mail. Out of all times this was the time Murtasim chose not to pick up.

Meerab had never felt more helpless than in this moment, where she was away from her daughter, knowing that she was hurt and there was nothing she could do about it.

She sat in the car as she called Murtasim again. Tears of frustration welled up in her eyes when he didn't pick up for the fourth time. They were atleast 2 hours away from her home. What if something happened to her baby?

How on earth had she missed telling Murtasim about this? 3 months. 3 whole months since she'd been back and she never thought to talk to Murtasim about Meesam's medical history?

"Ya allah meri beti ko meahfooz rakhna" Meerab prayed to herself as Saba drove them back home.
(Dear god please keep my daughter safe)

~~

"Murtasim she's alergic to strawberries"

Murtasim felt his heart drop.
His phone slipped out of his grip and before he knew it he was sprinting down to their room.

He ran over to check on Meesam.

From afar she looked fine, like she was just taking a nap. But then he looked closer.
His breath hitched.

Her face was red and swollen. Her cheeks looked painfully puffed up and she was whimpering in her sleep. He tried nudging her awake but she didn't.

"Meesam" he cried out. He was petrified.

"Meesam utho!" But she only whimpered.
(Meesam wake up)

He roared for Bhaktu to get his car out. Picking Meesam up, he wrapped her in his shawl and ran out of his room.

His hands were shaking and he found it hard to breathe almost making him dizzy. He sat down on the back seat of the car and an alarmed Bhaktu drove off to the hospital

"Meesam please uth jayo, baba is sorry please uth jayo" his voice cracked, he kept trying to wake her up but she wouldn't open her eyes.

("Meesam please wake up. Baba's sorry please")

"Meesam aakhe kholo na please. Meri jaan chale jayegi please uth jayo" he cried.

("Meesam please open your eyes. I can't live like this please")