Makeover

A few weeks after Meesam came home things had finally gone back to normal in the Khan Haveli... well as normal as it can be with a toddler in the house.

Meesam was teething and it was painful. Her gums were hurting and she fussy all . the . time.

The little 14 month old had not only her parents, but the whole household wrapped around her fingers. Everyone was busy running around her trying to figure out how to calm her down, succumb to her whims and just do whatever that made her happy.

Meesam was having a hard time but her father was definitely worse off.
His daughter had decided to return to her default programming. Meerab was back to being is daughter's preferred, most favourite parent and that sting alot more than Murtasim let on.

This wasn't Meesam's first time teething, she had a few baby teeth since before Meerab came back to the Khan Household and Meesam simply sought the same comfort her mother had provided her the first time she was in pain like this. Her father was rough, hard and all muscles while her mother was soft and supple and thats exactly what she needed right now.

Murtasim did everything, brought every thing he could just to get her to be bear him again but it was all for naught. No amount of fancy pacifiers or cold packs can replace the comfort of her mother's embrace.

Meerab didn't say it outloud but she felt the tiniest bit of satisfaction whenever her daughter sought her out. She had pretty much accepted the fact, albeit reluctantly, that Meesam was a daddy's girl through and through. Murtasim and Meesam were almost inseparable and she loved that about them. But still, it felt good being the favourite parent again, though she knew this phase was only temporary. Meerab had decided to cherish it as much as she could.

Murtasim however, did not understand this change in her daughter's behaviour. He was missing his early morning cuddle time with his baby but Meesam only wanted to be held by Meerab.
Whenever he'd try picking her up, she'd start fussing and wiggle away. He'd try kissing her like he used to but suddenly her father's kisses, which she used to love, now irritated the life out of her. She'd slap his face away the second tried to put his lips to her cheek and scream for her mama.

Though it didn't bother her before, Meesam couldn't bear his itchy beard coming in contact with her skin. Murtasim could sense this because she'd pull at his hair with such intensity he feared that she might as well pull his beard out someday.

The once favourite parent had to now resort to stealing hugs and kisses when his child was sleeping.

Murtasim knew what he had to do. It took him 4 days to gather the courage but he was finally ready.

So now here he stood, starting at himself in front of the bathroom mirror with a trimmer in his hand, ready to shave off his beard.

He felt like his heart was beating out of his chest. He absolutely did not want to part with his facial hair. He'd kept a stubble since he was 17 years old. It had become a part of his identity and quite honestly he didn't even remember what his face looked like clean shaven.

He knew his mother would likely throw a fit when she saw him, his staff would probably laugh at him behind his back but...parenting demands sacrifice and this time the sacrifice was his facial hair.

"Chalo beti ke pyar ke liye aaj ye bhi karke dekh lete hai" He sighed dramatically and brought the trimmer close to his face.
(Ah the things you do for love)

"Murtasim Shahnawaz Khan. what. do. you. think. you. are. doing" he heard Meerab's voice from behind him, her tone laced with a threat.

He turned around to look at her.