Distance

A/N:
Changing the rating to M for Coarse Language, (light?) smut(not in this chapter), and cussing.
~~

If the world ran the way Murtasim wanted it to, he would never leave his wife's and daughter's side.

He had long since accepted the fact that the role of the Feudal Lord needed to take the backseat in his life. He had turned into everything Khan Murtasim Khan never would have dreamt of being before he got married. He'd grown softer, calmer, more accommodating, he'd smile more often... he was a family man now after all.

But the world, much to his dismay, didn't run according to him wants and desire, and when duty calls, a man must answer.

He had tried avoiding going to goan for way too long now.
It wasn't like he had just forgotten about his responsibilities, he had simply tweaked his schedule to fit his new life better, he'd started to prefer working from home where he could be near his family.

But some issues must be resolved in person and attending the panchayat was one of those.

The village elders had postponed the panchayat meeting multiple times already at his behest. Once when Meesam had said her first words and the second time when Meesam was in the hospital.

It had barely been 10 days since Meesam was bought back and she was already back to normal.
However, despite his better judgment, Murtasim was still on the fence about leaving them alone.

But he simply couldn't postpone his trip to the gaon any longer. The situation in the village was getting tense by the day. Malik Zubair, ever the opportunist as he was, had taken advantage of Murtasim's absence and decided to impose himself on the people of his land and Murtasim wouldn't stand just stand by and watch as that despicable bastard took away whats his.

To further rub salt on his wounds, Meesam still didn't want anything to do with him. She was still teething wouldn't go near him. Meesam's world revolved around her Mama right now and though he didn't want to admit it, he was sure his absence right now wouldn't bother her in the least.

So here he was, packing his bag, getting ready to leave his family for the week. Meerab could see that his was mood had been off all day. She could tell that he was tensed about the situation in the village too.

So she came up behind him and hugged him.

"Tum humare fikar maat karo. Hum yaha bilkul theek. Bas gaon ke maamlo pe dhyan do, tumhare logo ko tumhari zyada zaroort hai"

(We'll be alright. Don't worry about us. Focus on the gaon. Your people need you too)

He sighed and proceeded to turn around and pull her closer, her face flushed against his chest. He kissed the top of her face, resting his head atop hers.

"Meri Khanam nahi hoti toh kya hota mera?"He whispered

(Hmm what would I do without you my Khanam)

"Kuch nahi hota, mere aane se phele se bhi toh tum ye sab karte aa rahe ho. Chalo aab chalo tumhe late ho raha hai" she smacked his chest lightly and walked back.

("You'd do just fine now c'mon you need to get going")

He chuckled slightly and continued packing his bags.

Just as his zipped his bag up, Meerab came back up with Meesam in her arms. She seemed calm...at least for now.

"Meesam dekho baba ja rahe hai. Chalo unko bye bolo" Meerab tried taking her hand and move it in a waving motion but she whined and snatched her hand back.

(Meesam c'com se bye to baba)

"Bye bye Meesam" Murtasim said in best baby voice.

He tried kissing her but she fussed and hid her face in her mother's bust