Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Kellin's POV

Saturday nights for me were always pretty risky but that was my own fault. I've developed a habit of wandering to the wrong side of town quite often, so I've just decided to make it my thing. I don't cause any real trouble though, at least not what I consider trouble. I'm not worth getting into a fight with honestly. I'm not saying I couldn't fight somebody, it'd just be a waste of time.

I turn my attention to the small radio playing softly in the background. The melody sounds like something I'd heard before and it bothers me that I can't remember what it is or why it reminds me of a memory I can't seem to recover. I spend the next few minutes thinking as I blow little clouds of cigarette smoke in the air. I know I'm not supposed to smoke in diners, especially not small ones like this one I always stop by, but I don't care. It's not like anyone is going to stop me for something so minimal, or so I thought.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you that smoking is for outside?" Someone several tables away from me chides.

I look to see who it is and sigh when my eyes meet the face of none other than Jeremy McKinnon. He's never particularly liked me too much, maybe because this used to be his hangout spot before I came along. I don't really know what his problem is; he always seems mad all the time.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you that you should mind your own business?" I mutter back before putting the cigarette to my lips again.

"Don't talk back to me punk! You're on my territory." He grins deviously and the hairs on the back of my neck stand.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid of Jeremy. Underneath all that facial hair is just another timid highschool kid. What I am afraid of is starting something around here. It's not my place to cause conflict in this neighborhood. Austin would probably kill me...and as much as I love that guy, he scares me the most.

I shake my head and start walking towards the door. That apparently wasn't a smart thing to do because McKinnon started getting angry again. Great...

"Hey don't walk away when I'm talking to you, kid!" He yells getting up and speeding towards me.

I was a few feet away from the diner's entrance at that point and really he should've left me alone. Or maybe I shouldn't have turned around, but I did.

"Don't call me 'kid', dumbass." I warn before dropping my cigarette to the ground.

I swear I hear him growl as he balls up his fists and grits his teeth. Way to go Quinn, you've awoken the beast, you've released the kraken, or whatever the hell it is. He slowly inches closer to me and I take that as my cue to get the hell out of there. I quickly turn to start running and immediately hear his heavy footsteps behind me.

With the night's warm air pricking my face, I let my legs carry me through numerous alleyways.Picking a fight with one of the Daytrotters was not the smartest move to make. This Jeremy guy is hot on my tail and I'm kind of scared I won't be able to out run him. If I can just make it to the bridge before he can catch me, then everything should be fine. With that being said, I'm not exactly the fastest guy around here. But I am pretty clever. I can hear him getting closer so I kick over a nearby garbage can to stall him for at least a bit. It works for about ten seconds before he's back to his regular speed. I can't get caught again, they'll kill me! Heck, Austin would kill me too! I can't let Austin down again...

"Quinn! You're gonna pay, I swear to god!" his voice, low and angry, gave me goosebumps despite the warm weather.

I'm still a few blocks away from the bridge and I know I'd have to think of a better plan to not get beat up by this guy. I see a fence ahead and rush to jump over it. Jeremy could've gotten me within a blink of an eye if it weren't for the distant voice we suddenly heard behind us.