Chapter 3: The Covention Catastrophe

Special thanks to Trixie090306 for helping with this chapter. Crystal Clawthorne OC belongs to her.

A week after the boiling rain had passed and Leon had kept up with his studies at Hexside while hanging out with his friends. He also learned from Luz and Crystal that during the storm, they discovered that Eda was cursed and would occasionally turn into what they called the owl beast. It was clear this shocked everyone, but Leon could tell that this knowledge was hurting Crystal. The thought of her mother turning into that thing was eating away at Crystal's thoughts. Leon and Luz weren't sure how to comfort her, but they stuck with her to help her through this. Today was the day of the annual covention, a day for the many magic covens to show what they can do. Leon was on his way there alongside Willow and Gus.

Gus: This is so exciting. I can't wait to see what the illusions coven can do.

Willow: Leon, have you been to one of these?

Leon: Once, at my old home before we moved. But I'd gladly see it again.

Gus: Well, today's your lucky day.

Leon and Gus smile and fist bump in response. They continue walking and come across Luz and the gang at Eda's stand. They quickly run up to greet them.

Gus: Luz! Crystal! Something amazing is happening today!

Luz: Gus, Willow, Leon! Hey!

Crystal: What's gotten you three so excited?

Willow: *holds up a flier* It's the annual covention! Student witches get to see all the types of covens before they're placed in one. There's even three mystery guests this year!

Luz: A job fair for witches! That's awesome!

Crystal: Mom, can we go?

Eda: Absolutely not.

Luz groans and drops to the ground while Crystal crosses her arms with a pout.

Eda: I never joined a coven for a reason. Sure it's like a fun club for witches, but you're also giving up your independence to be part of a crooked system.

Willow: Mmm. *drops flier*

Eda: Eh, but, you know, no judgment. In any case, I haven't been to one since we were girls.

Luz: "We"?

Crystal: Mom, what are you hiding?

Eda: I-the-I mean-

Luz: *Pops back up.* Who's "we"? You have a mysterious past! Now we gotta go!

Crystal: Mom, it's bad enough you hid your curse from me. I don't want you hiding anything else from me.

Eda: No, and that's final.

Luz and Crystal look at each other and have evil smirks.

Luz: Okay, then you leave us no choice.

Crystal: *hands King the Azura book* King, if you please?

King: *Grabs the book.* "You shall not shan't doeth no more harm," Azura callethed out...

Eda: So flowery, so awful.

Eda walks away, opening the portal door and stepping through it. Luz tosses King through the portal as it closes. It opens a second later, Eda coming back through with King sitting on her head.

Eda: Stop it! Stop it! I will literally do anything to stop this!

Crystal: *Looking smug* Anything?

The gang arrive in front of a large building with a sign in front of it reading "COVENTION TODAY alchemists anonymous tomorrow". Crystal looks at Eda with a smug grin while Eda frowns at her.