| 𝟑 |

3rd POV

Gon and his friends arrived at the one-on-one battle. Actually, Tonpa is up on the stage claiming he can fight the prisoner.

"I forfeit!" Tonpa declared.

"Huh?"

"What?"

"Did he just say, 'I forfeit'?"

"Are you sure you didn't mean, 'wait'?"

"You win as long as I admit defeat, right? So, I've lost. I admit defeat." Tonpa laughed.

"All right, then. I win this round," The dude with scars on his head spoke. "If we win another three rounds, you guys lose. You won't be able to proceed or turn back. You must stay in this tower until the 72 hours are up. This means all of us will have our sentences cut by 72 years."

"That was embarrassing. I didn't expect him to look so scary up close."

"Why you! Now I see what's going on! So, you're the piece of garbage that's been hindering us all along!" Leorio grabbed him by his collar.

"Yes, you're right. This is what I've been doing the whole time. And I'll be doing it again next time."

"W-What?"

"I'm not joining the Hunter Exam to pass. I'm here for the thrill. Watching those young men full of dreams get knocked down and defeated. Their expressions when they realize their hopes are ruined. It slowly becomes my greatest fulfillment. So, I will do my best to make them fall. I'll deprive the rookies of their dreams. I never had the intention of becoming a Hunter. I've had my share of fun this year. I think it's about time I back out."

"Damn, bastard!"

"Leorio stop. We are wasting time arguing amongst ourselves, so we will do them a favour," Kurapika explained.

"Actually, it's better that this idiot gave up. That bald guy was probably a soldier or mercenary. As soon as the fight begins, he'd attack his throat to keep him from admitting defeat. Then, he'd use the remaining time to torture and make his life miserable," Obanai informed them causing Tonpa to say he took that into consideration.

"Well, so much for that plan. I was going to spend some time and have a good time with him."

"Don't worry, everything will be fine. It will be our victory if we win three more rounds," The next challenger said.

"So, we'll need to win three rounds to get through this test."

"Who is next?"

"Me, I'll go!" Gon volunteered.

As he stepped on the stage the skinny man asked him to put a candle between a short and a long candle. "As you can see, I don't have confidence in my own body. So I am not good at fighting or running and jumping around."

"On the contrary, I'm good at all of that, but I'm not so good at using my brains."

"I thought so."

"I have thought of a simple game for the two of us. A game that doesn't require a lot of mental or physical strength. We'll light up our candles at the same time. Whoever's candle goes out first, loses. How is that?"

"Sure. It's clear and simple. Let's play this!" As soon as Gon said that he took out the two candles with different lengths.

"Which candle would you like? It's your call. Press O for the long candle and X for the short candle. We'll go by the majority."

"He wants us to choose. It's a trap! Anyone would choose the long candle, so he must have rigged the long candle."

"Anyone could have thought of that. On the contrary, he might have tempered the short one instead."