Thirty-one

「 ☁️ 」

Jungwon always had difficulty with deciding what was best for him. In the past, he had relied on Sunoo to make the choices he couldn't make himself considering he was the oldest of the two and was traditionally supposed to take care of him. When he entered high school, he was so confident that it would be the beginning of a new era, even after his memorable traumatic history. If only believing in something so achievable could flourish into the longing truth.

Instead of being the person his childhood self had always dreamt of, he grew up into someone he swore he wouldn't become. His situation was complicated, so Jungwon did the only thing he could do. However, even after he grew out of his best-formed personality, he still couldn't make his own decisions. If it was out of habit or out of fear, Jungwon wasn't entirely sure himself.

When he offered Heeseung the best advice he could give, he felt somewhat beneficial to him. It reminded him of the times he used to be advised by his best friend during tough times. Whether he would listen or not didn't matter; only the fact that others were willing to help him did. Even in the present, he was thankful for Sunoo's aid, and Jungwon wanted nothing more than to share his words of wisdom with his new friend.

Nonetheless, he became easily unaware that the advice he gave away were words he should also consider himself.

Fast forwarding to the end of their unexpected talk about one of Jungwon's hardcore lovers, the boy was willing to change the subject quickly. He didn't want to be caught up on a topic he wasn't sure what to say about himself, which made him want to avoid it altogether, never having to speak with uncertainty.

Before Jungwon redirected the conversation, he decided to distract himself instead. He grabbed his phone out of his back pocket, while Heeseung gave him looks of suspicion. But his skepticism was canceled out when a sound was heard from outside the room. Someone had knocked on the door, though there was no room for secrecy as they envisioned it to be only one possible person.

Jungwon and Heeseung glanced at each other, afterward staring towards the wall the knock came from, pretending they could see right through.

"Since you guys don't wanna let me in, do you want something from the store, Seung?" Jay asked. Heeseung smiled upon hearing his roommate's kind-hearted request, nearly allowing his tears to drop again. What did he ever do to deserve such an amiable soul who loved to care for him like this?

"Uh... you too, Jungwon? Or, you know, if you want," Jay asked the other, causing him to chuckle.

"Has he always been this awkward?" Jungwon whispered to Heeseung.

"Nah, he's just really caring, even with his enemies," Heeseung whispered in return, showing Jungwon a knowing look.

"If he buys me something, call us besties. Don't tell Sunoo, though." Heeseung snickered at that, returning his gaze to the closed door.

"I won't."

"My dear Jongseongie, can I get some of your finest Pringles, pretty please?" Jungwon asked in the fakest sweet tone he could muster. When he heard Jay sigh through the door, the boy giggled at his satisfactory response.

"Sure, because you asked so nicely," Jay spoke through gritted teeth, forcing himself to reply pleasingly to the mockery.

Heeseung chuckled at their exchange. He could never get enough of their specific way of communicating they liked to showcase through taunts and derision. The interactions were unforgettable to witness, even so in real life.