Chapter 3

*11 April, 1912*

          *11 April, 1912*

In the morning, Lily woke up to her face aching with a dull throb. She had gotten an ear full from her mother last night after Officer Lowe dropped her off.  Lily could only imagine what he must have thought of her now.  She thought he'd find her completely helpless. But in a sense, she felt she was. Lily heard shuffling around the room so she sat up in bed and saw her mother was already dressing.  "Good morning, dearest.  We got a wonderful invitation to have tea with the ships carpenter this afternoon!" Dorothy chirped, clasping her brooch to her chest.  Lily gawked at her, unable to comprehend why her mother was being so sweet to her, when last night she was slapping her around and calling her horrible names.  "Well come on.  Don't keep everyone waiting.  We all want to go get breakfast." Dorothy sighed as she grabbed Lily's corset.  Lily scoffed under her breath. This was more like the treatment she expected from her mother.  Constantly barking orders, as if Lily was a dog. 

By 11:30am, Titanic had docked in Queenstown, Ireland, picking up the last of the passengers.    From what Lily understood, it was mostly Third class passengers boarding.  Lily took the opportunity to take to the boat deck and look out towards land since it would be the last time she saw land until the 17th when they were due to arrive in New York.  Lily took deep breathes of the fresh spring air, as if she wouldn't be able to breathe while out at sea.  Lily glanced down at the loading docks, contemplating if anyone would notice if she were to sneak off the ship, claiming to have forgotten a piece of luggage.  "You don't have the courage, Lily pad." A voice teased her. It was like the person read her mind. Lily turned and saw her younger brother, John joining her.  Lily and John were close growing up, as a brother and sister should be.  They both felt like they weren't really anything to their oldest brother.  "I was just looking, Johnny.  Nothing more." Lily fibbed.  John cocked his head to the side and furrowed his eyebrows.  "I know you better than that, dear sister." John said, coming and standing next to her by the rail.  John sighed and looked out towards land.  "I wouldn't blame you if you did.  In fact, I'd lie for you." John affirms to his older sister.  Lily tucked her arm in with John's and laid her head on his shoulder.  "I know you would, Johnny.  But it isn't your battle to fight." Lily reminds him.

Meanwhile, Harold took the opportunity while docked to send a letter out to his Mother, including a dinner menu from his first dinner on board.  He wanted his Mother to see how well the ship was feeding him.  He walked down the First class deck when he saw the familiar petite figure of Lily.  Harold somewhat stumbled in his steps when he found Lily arm in arm with a man, her head on his shoulder.  Harold scolded himself for thinking that a woman that beautiful didn't have a man by her side.  Of course she did. 'Even if she didn't. You're just a ships junior officer!' Harold yelled at himself in his head. The girl must have seen him out of the corner of her eye because she lifted her head and turned to face him.  "Mr. Lowe.  A pleasure as usual." Lily greeted with a warm smile.  Harold noticed she must have powdered away that mark on her face.  The man next to Lily looked over at Harold and as soon as Harold saw the round eyes that were hazel in color as well, he was able to figure out that he must be related to Lily.  Harold couldn't explain why he felt a sense of relief upon the discovery.  "Miss Adams." Harold returned the greeting, tipping his hat to her.  "Mr. Lowe, I'd like to introduce my somewhat pain in the neck younger brother, John Adams." Lily introduced teasingly, gesturing to the man next to her.