Chapter 10

*14 April, 1912*

*14 April, 1912*

James Moody had just woken up to get ready for his 8pm shift when a knock came on his door. Rubbing the sleep out of his eye, he walked to the door and opened it, revealing Harold. Harold gave him a tired smile. "I need a favor." Harold muttered. "Did someone die?" James asked him, scratching his head. Harold made a face before looking back to his mate. "Not yet. That's what I'm trying to avoid." Harold said, looking around to make sure they were alone. James got dressed warmly and then followed Harold to the smoking room. There sat Lily, a cup of tea in her hands. "Bloody hell..." James murmured under his breath. Harold was surely going to get caught with her before the end of this voyage. "She is officially in hiding until we dock. She will not be returned to her family. The only family member we have permission to talk to is her younger brother, John." Harold informed James. "Who's authority?" James asked. "Lightoller." Harold told him. James rolled his eyes. Of course it would be Lightoller. "Hello, James. May I make you a cup of tea?" Lily asked politely. James smiled kindly at her and nodded. "Thank you, Lily. It would be nice to stay as warm as possible before starting my shift." James answered her. The two sat and drink tea as Lily informed James what had happened earlier while he was asleep. James couldn't believe that her parents were that vicious.

Before he knew it, Harold was coming back in to the smoking room. "Alright, get out there. I'm tired of freezing." Harold commented. James stood up and gave Lily one last smile. "We won't let anyone lay a finger on you again. White Star Line can fire me if they please." James said before going outside. Harold sat next to Lily, putting his arm around her shoulder. "You're going to hide in my quarters until we dock. Lightoller will know but he will be the only senior officer to know." Harold said to her. Lily laid her head down on Harold's shoulder and sighed. "And once we hit New York?" Lily asked. Harold took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "You have two options. You can continue to hide until we get back to England..." Harold started but then paused. "Or?" Lily asked, looking up at him. "Or we marry in New York. Lightoller suggested it. If we marry, Lily, you're out from under your parents wings. They can't claim you as insane or incompetent. They will turn to me as your husband and I will tell them it was our decision together." Harold suggested. Lily shook her head, standing up and began pacing. "Harold, I don't want to be married right now. I have ambitions and I'm not letting marriage slow me down. Even to you..." Lily preached. Harold grinned up at her. "I would never stand in your way, Lily. I'd be too scared." Harold said.

Harold stood up and grabbed Lily's hands. "Why don't you come with me and let's go rest. I need some sleep before the midnight shift. And a chance to warm up." Harold said with half a laugh. Lily nodded silently and took a deep breath as Harold leaned in and kissed her forehead. Harold opened the door to the smoking room and checked the corridor to make sure no one was around. He didn't see anyone but his quarters were on the other side. "Take your shoes off so you don't make noise. I really don't need Wilde hearing you walking." Harold whispered, referring to the Chief officer. Lily bent down and unstrapped her heels from her feet and took them off. Harold turned and saw she was at least three inches shorter now and he chuckled. "I thought you were already short." Harold teased, earning himself a smack in the chest. Harold grabbed her hand and walked around to where Harold's quarters were. Without her shoes, Lily's footsteps were silent across the floor. Harold got the two into his quarters and then locked the door.