Chapter 8

Lucas's apartment is cozy, not too big, and not too small. The ambiance is gentle and calm, I immediately feel at home. There is also a balcony very close to the living room. "I got a spare room upstairs," he says. I turn to the cop. "Thanks again, I don't know what I possibly can do without you in this situation," I say. "No problem, it's my job," he says. "To let people sleep in your house," I tease him. "No, to help them," he replies, not getting the hint of tease in my voice.

I open the door of my new room. It has a window with red curtains, and the walls are painted with a warm color. There is a closet and a large bed in the room, together with a desk and some books. "Are you hungry, [name]? I want to buy some pizzas, "Lucas asks. "Sure, whatever is fine," I say.

"I will pay you back, I promise," I add. "Don't need to. Your presence is my payback, "he replies. "I'll let it deliver. Want to watch a movie in the meantime?" He asks. "Sure."
Lucas shows the thousands of movies he has. I choose one that I know, and put it on the TV. I can't help but feel... weird. Like something bad is about to happen. It's just my gut feeling, screaming at me that they're here, that I'm in danger.

Lucas sits beside me, our hands almost touching. It's actually unbelievable to think that the cop who showed up that day would mean so much to me. "You have your gun close to you, right?" Lucas looks at me confused for a moment. "Is everything alright?" He asks. "Yes, I mean, no. The point is that my friend as well as my parents have gone missing. It wouldn't surprise me if you were the next target, only if it really were the serial killers. I don't think they will let you live, "I explain. Lucas smiles at my concern. "It's gonna be okay, [name]. Besides, I always have weapons around me", He reassures me. Suddenly, there is a knock on the door. "Oh, that's a new record. They never have brought it this fast," Lucas says as he stands up. Somehow, my heart starts to beat very loudly, I want to say to let the door closed but that would be stupid. It's just pizza.

As the door opens, I hear a sudden scowl of Lucas. He falls on his knees a knife, right through his shoulder. I flinch and look terrified at the attacker. He's hooded, only his eyes full of rage show. He steps forward in my direction and takes something close to me. I don't recognize him at all. "Stay back!" I yell. Holding a sharp knife that we already prepared to cut the pizza. "You think a knife will scare me?" His voice is low, I don't know it. "Who are you?"I ask. "Call me: seven."

Shock overcomes my body. Seven, like number seven? There is one more?!

Thousands of thoughts run through my head. "You're one of them?" Seven suddenly lunges forward with the dagger in his hand, I just can duck away, but not fast enough. The sharp piece cuts through my skin, leaving a nasty mark. Seven jump on the balcony. "If you want to see your parents, [name]. You better meet me. Next week, before sundown at our place." And he jumps off, dissapearing in the dark. I don't give any second, though, and run to Lucas. "Oh god! Are you okay?" Licas carpet is already partly covered red of his blood. "I'll call 911!"I take my phone, but a voice interups me. "They won't be on time." I look up to see five staring at me. "Go away!" I say. Jace glares at Lucas. I put in the numbers and started to call. "By the time he will be here, he will bleed to death!" Says Jace. "And why would you want to help us?!"
"I've studied surgery, I'm your only hope," says Jace.
I growl and nod my head. "Alright, but the ambulance is on his way."I need a knife and alcohol," says Chase as he looks at the stab wound.

I don't like following his orders, but what choice do I have? I take a knife and take a bottle with alcohol. I give it to Jace, who pours it on the knife. "In return, I want you to fulfill our deal." "What deal?"
"You had to be a slave for 2 weeks. You barely fulfilled 1," he says. "What, no! I was your slave as long as I wore your hoodie!"
"Yes, but you escaped. So I make it longer, "he says. "Shut up and just fix Lucas already!" I shout. Adrenaline is rising in me as Lucas breathes slower. But Jace doesn't do anything except looking at me intensely. "Jace!"
He still looks at me. "Promise me."
I look at Lucas and then back at Jace.

Damn it!

"I promise, I promise! Save Lucas, "I demand. "Promise what?"
"I will be your slave for the next two weeks if Lucas makes it out alive," I yell out of frustration. Jace smirks before he puts the knife gently in Lucas, his wound. "Your attacker used glass," he says. The tip of his tongue comes out of his mouth while he removes small pieces of glass. "I thought it was a dagger," I say silently. "That dagger had glass as well," Jace replies. "Somoene really wanted him to die."

The ambulance came and thanked Jace. It appears that if he didn't remove the glass, Lucas wouldn't have survived.

My eyelids are heavy as the ambulance rides away. I cried way too much for one day. I walk slowly to Lucas's couch. I flop  down and close my eyes. And immediately, I drift away.

Jace turns around. "So..." he stops talking when he sees you asleep. "You really are a bother, aren't you?" He smirks. He picks you up in bride style as he takes you away...

_________________________________

Hi there!

I wanted to publish earlier, but right now, I'm for the first time in Disneyland and had a tiredsome day. But don't worry, it won't affect any of the dates of the upcoming chapters.

Have a nice day/night! 👋