Chapter 6

"NINA!!!" I woke up so quickly. The lamp was left on and the Laptop was sitting on the ground. Suddenly, I felt a strong pain in my chest area. I wanted to scream, It hurt so badly. I got up out of my bed and stumbled over to the mirror. There was a huge bruise that spread across from my right shoulder to the bottom of my stomach. I took a step back and felt tears well up in my eyes. I stared at my bruised body and fearfully remembered my sister after my mom died.

It was like any other day, but it was supposed to be special day. My dad came home early and began to cook. It was mother's day. After he finished cooking, he looked at the clock. It said 6:15 P.M.; She was late. We all began to worry, and at 7:00. We received the call that our mother was dead. He dropped the phone onto the ground and fell onto his knees. He screamed at the top of his lungs as tears streamed down his face. "DAMMIT! DAMN IT ALL TO HELL! WHY COULDN'T HAVE BEEN ME!?" He screamed as he smashed his fist into the ground. Anna hesitantly walked up to him, and placed her small hand on his back. She tried to soothe him, and she whispered...

"Daddy, it's okay." She hadn't realized that her mother was dead, she wasn't aware of what was even going on. He stopped crying, then he began to laugh hysterically.

"What do you mean, 'Okay'..." He grabbed her arm and pulled her off of the ground; she screamed in fear. I tried to get him to stop by yelling at him. "YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT!" He threw her and she landed with a huge Crash. She was crying and she tried to run away, I tried to block him from hitting her with my body, but he only shoved me to the ground. He picked her up again with aggressive force and she was trying to break free. He pressed her against a wall. He was beating on her with a lot of force and I forced myself off of the ground. I couldn't breathe, I was so scared.

"Daddy!" She screamed, "You're hurting me, Please stop!" She was sobbing at this point. I stumbled as I rose off of the ground. I ran to him.

"STOP IT! WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM! SHE'S A LITTLE GIRL! STOP IT!" I yelled, I grabbed his arm. He dropped Anna to the ground and punched me in my chest. I lost all of my breath and flew to the ground. As if it weren't hard enough to breathe. Anna and I both were diagnosed with asthma. It wasn't your normal asthma, it was severe. We had to go to the hospital every now and then. I was scared, but I also wasn't... Because if I did die, I could join my mom.

"Daddy!" Anna began to cry again. "Please stop, You're hurting me" This caused  him to laugh harder. She crawled over to me and I wanted her to go away. She whispered... "Helena, please be okay... Are you okay." I managed to make a nod. "I want Mommy..." I felt tears well up in my eyes, she had no idea.

"SHE'S DEAD, SHE'S GONE, SHE'S NEVER COMING BACK!" He screamed in her face, he beat on her again. I tried to get up, but when I did... I passed out.

I woke up about two hours later. Anna was under the kitchen table crying, I crawled to her. "Are you okay?" I asked. She only cried harder. I hugged her gently and she cried into my chest.

"Is she really gone...?" She murmured into my chest. I gasped, then I felt tears well up in my eyes.

"I'm sorry..." I whispered, and the tears came down my eyes quickly and suddenly. I held Anna closer and tighter.

"Stop, you're hurting me..." She whispered. I let go of her, Then saw the small cuts and bruises on her face.

"Where does it hurt, and how badly?" She rubbed her chest really gently and then began to cry again. "Can I see it?" She nodded and pulled up her shirt, and a huge bruise all across her body, it was on her back, across her chest, travelling down to her belly button. I held her closer, and that's when our Dad burst through the door.  I don't think I had ever seen her so scared in my life.