Chapter 7

I scavenged the room for a bra and a T-shirt. I couldn't find anything. "Maybe it's about time that I cleaned this place up..." I murmured. I found a plain, black t-shirt and a small, white bra. I put both of the articles of clothing on and saw a small black object on the floor. I walked closer to it... and I picked it up. I gasped, It was the battery to the laptop!

              I can't believe this, but it doesn't mean that the Laptop is going to work. I threw the battery in the box and hid it under my bed. I turned the lamp off and walked out of my room. I heard the door slam and ran to see what was going on. He apparently just left and didn't say anything about it, not that I cared. That just saved me and Anna a lot of pain. Anna was standing on a chair in the kitchen trying to grab the box of cereal on top of the fridge that he would never let us eat.

             "Whatcha doin'?" I asked in a playful voice. As soon as she heard my voice she nearly fell off of the chair.

             "NINA!' She exclaimed, "That's not funny!"

             "Alright, whatever, kid." I said while laughing. "You need help?"

             "No...." She said, after reaching about three more times, she gave up. "Yes." I reached up and grabbed the box of off-brand Honey Nut Cheerios. "Thank you" She murmured.

            "You know you're going to get in trouble for that, right?" I asked with little sympathy. We already got our asses beat for no reason, so I don't think we cared if we got hit anymore.

             "Maybe, but I don't think he's coming back anytime soon." She said, pulling out a bowl from the dishwasher. She poured the cereal into the bowl and scavenged the slightly empty fridge for milk. "Do you want some?" I shook my head no, I wasn't hungry. It felt like there was a lot to think about; Detention, That Boy, My sperm-donor, but I was mostly worried about the Laptop. I was beginning to worry if it may have been bugged or if it's some type of bomb planted to be someone's idea for a joke. That's not crazy is it? "Nina?"

           "Yeah? What?" I quickly responded. She was eating her cereal with her hands. There was no milk and she had already put the cereal back in its place before he could notice.

                        "Are you okay?" She asked. I couldn't say yes because that wouldn't be true. She'd also be able to pick up my lies. I nodded anyway and looked at the clock. It was time for us to go to the bus stop. Anna had already finished her cereal, I wasn't surprised. We were both at the point where you could see our ribs through our skin. She grabbed her backpack and we walked out the door. I checked to see if it was locked. Then I picked up Anna to do our usual activities.