Chapter 23. Declaring War

Standing on the wooden platform, Otto Hightower was kneeling in front of a bucket and a block with dried blood. He knew what would kill him.

He would be beheaded.

On the platform was Grand Maester Orwyle, a Septon whose name Otto never bothered to learn and Ser Harwin Strong.

Harwin approached and loudly declared. "People of King's Landing, I bear grave news. King Viserys the First has passed. Queen Rhaenyra has succeeded him and has been the target of an attempted assassination. Otto Hightower, you have been sentenced to death for attempting to kill Rhaenyra Targaryen, First of Her Name, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men and Lady of the Seven Kingdoms. Do you have any last words?"

"Fuck Rhaenyra the Cruel! The Maegor with Tits! The Bitch on the Iron Throne! The Whore of Harrenhal, and long live Daemon Targaryen, First of His Name!" Otto yelled, spitting on Harwin's armour.

Harwin scoffed as he grabbed his sword and swung it over Otto's neck. The Hightower lord's head fell as blood sprayed all over the faces of the people close to the platform who witnessed. Their response was mixed, with cheers that the man who would've killed the Queen was dead and jeers for how she announced her ascension to the Iron Throne.

But that would not be the only blood Rhaenyra Targaryen would shed.

Sipping her wine cup, Rhaenyra smiled as she saw Otto's head detach from his body, taking it upon herself to write.

'Dear Lady Alicent.
Your father, Otto Hightower, has been beheaded after attempting to assassinate the Queen mere hours after she learned of her King Father's death. I will forgive you and your family if you all swear allegiance to me and recognise me as the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. If I give birth to a daughter, she will be betrothed to your son Daeron, and I will provide Daemon with the title of Hand of the Queen.

Regards, Rhaenyra Targaryen, First of Her Name, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men and Lady of the Seven Kingdoms.'

In their chambers in Dragonstone, Alicent wailed as she fell to her knees, Daemon, who had entered when the letter arrived, and now sitting on the floor, holding onto her as she cried into his chest. Her father was dead. Rhaenyra had killed him. Her friend had murdered her father.

"She wants us to bow to her after she kills your father?"

"No. Go to war." Alicent's face fell stone cold.

The friendly and sisterly love Alicent had for Rhaenyra was dead.

Rhaenyra saw that die with Otto.

She now hated Rhaenyra.

"What will we tell the children?" Alicent asked.

Daemon sighed. "The truth. Rhaenyra murdered your father, their grandfather, for something we have resisted the urge to do since she started this nonsense."

Their six children stared solemnly. Their Grandsire and Uncle were dead. Rhaenyra claimed she was the Queen, and their father declared and crowned King just days before.

"We should declare war on the false Queen," Aemond suggested. Daemon smirked sadly at his son.

"And what allies do we have to support us, hm?" His father asked.

Aelinor jumped in. "We have House Hightower. The murder of Grandsire would force House Hightower to support us, as we are Mother's family too."

"Ser Criston is like a brother to Mother. He'll fight for us." Aegon added.

Helaena whispered. "There is a beast beneath the boards."

"And if Prince Qyle marries Helaena-"

Helaena interrupted. "When! I like Qyle."