Night of the Comet

Today was the last day of the school year for Molly and Libby. Even though they were both kind of sad that this is the last time they would go to Brighton Middle School, they were excited to spend summer break together.

It wasn't long before the last bell of the day rang and everyone left the school to enjoy their summer break. Libby was one of the last students to leave before her teacher called out for her.

"Libby, can I speak to you for a minute?" Mrs. Roop asked.

Curious, Libby walked over to Mrs. Roop's desk to see what she wanted, "Sure, Mrs. Roop! Is there anything I can help you with?"

"So, I know that it is none of my business, but I was just wondering if you and Molly are actually together now." Mrs. Roop wondered.

"Oh, no. Molly and I aren't together." Libby was about to add that she and Molly were just friends, but after how she and Molly considered their dance to be a date, Libby wasn't so sure anymore. It was hard for Libby to tell what she and Molly are exactly since they didn't have time to talk about what happened back at the dance. "Actually, I'm not sure what my relationship with Molly is at the moment."

Mrs. Roop gave an understand nod. "Don't worry! It's normal to feel this way! Listen, have you heard of the Blazin' Snowball Comet?"

"The one that passes by every 50 years? That's supposed to be coming tonight, right?" Libby asked.

"That's right! Pam and I plan to watch it together! Maybe you should do the same with Molly!" Mrs. Roop suggested.

"That's actually a great idea! Thank you, Mrs. Roop! I'll tell Molly about the comet right away!" Libby thanked before she started to look for Molly.

Meanwhile, Molly and Scratch were on their way back home. Molly was talking to Scratch about the fun things she had planned for summer, while Scratch was more focused on getting something to eat when they get back home. Halfway through their walk, Libby managed to catch up with them as she called out for them.

"Molly! Scratch!"

At that moment, Molly turned to Libby and greeted her with a smile. "Hi, Libby! Where have you been? I thought we were going to walk home from school together."

"Sorry. I got a little distracted." Libby apologized. "I was talking to Mrs. Roop, and she gave me a great idea with how we can start our summer break! Do you know about the comet that would appear later tonight? I was wondering if you would like to watch the comet with me."

Hearing this got Molly's attention. "Ooh! That sounds like fun! What do you say Scratch? Want to come with us?"

"I don't know." Scratch replied, not interested in joining. "I don't see what the big deal is. Comets just fly around in space. I mean, I can do that!"

"But, Scratch! Do you know how big of a deal it is? This might be our only opportunity to see the comet!" Libby explained, desperate to convince Molly and Scratch to come along. "After all, who knows what our lives will be like in 50 years!"

As Libby said that, Molly's smile faded. She soon remained silent as she thought about what Libby just said. Seeing Molly this worried caused Libby and Scratch to stared at her, concerned.

"Uh, Moll? Are you okay?" Scratch asked.

It was at that moment when Molly snapped out of it and said. "You know what? Libby is right! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and we gotta make the most of it! We'll have an epic BFF sleepover, with celestial themed activities and astral shaped snacks!"

The idea that they would have snacks was more than enough to convince Scratch to come along.

"Alright! If we're having snacks, then I suppose I can come along as well!" Scratch finally agreed.