16: The Truth

That evening, Cyclone and Maverick were two of the only people in the building.

"I can only imagine what you must be feeling right now. Take some time. Whatever you need," Cyclone rested his hands against the edge of his desk.

"I appreciate that, sir, but there is no time. The mission…" Maverick tried to reason, standing on the other side of the desk, dressed in his flight suit. 

A knock at the door broke the small moment of silence, Cyclone trying to find the right words to say.

"Come in, Admiral," Cyclone looked at the door as it opened, Regina "Bambi" McClain-Kerner stepped in.

"Admiral Bambi and I’ll be taking over the training from here," Cyclone explained.

"Sir?" Maverick questioned.

"We both know you didn’t want this job, Captain," Cyclone remarked.

"Sir, they’re not ready," Maverick was slightly panicked now. He knew Cyclone wouldn't show or train them how to get home. He knew Regina would after he told her about the kids.

"It was your job to get them ready," Regina said softly. She didn't want to go aganst her wingman, but she knew that Mav was in a difficult spot. 

"Sir, they have to believe that this mission can be flown," Maverick ignored Regina. Getting back to being the one that would train the pilots was his main priority, any of the consequences he would face weren't a priority to him.

"And all you’ve managed to do is teach them that it can’t," Cyclone countered. 

"Sir…"Maverick was desperate.

"You’re grounded, Captain," Cyclone said, "Permanently."

"Sir…" Maverick was stunned, he looked back at Regina, his wingman was looking down, refusing to match his eye contact.

"That is all," Cyclone stated, gesturing him out. Regina and Maverick left the room silently.

"Mav, it wasn't my choice. Cyclone and Warlock asked me to come help teach them. I thought you had chosen to leave," Regina pleaded. To her, it was like a mirror flashing through her mind. This wasn't the first time she was pleading with Maverick over something important like this.

"Gina, we just lost Ice. I can't... We can't lose Bradley and Brandie too. I can't lose my daughters too.." Maverick looked at Regina, he was distressed.

"The twins are here? And your daughters? How many daughters do you have?" Regina asked, that information threw her off of everything.

"Yeah, the twins. And I have two girls. They look just like their mothers. Charlie had one and I had one with a woman before her," Maverick explained as he walked to the door, "I just found out about them. Before Tom died. I can't lose any of them. I need you to teach them how to come home."

Regina watched as Maverick walked down the hallway. This was going to be more difficult than she thought. She had not only Goose’s kids, but also Maverick's daughters to train to come home.

《~~○~~》

Penny sat in her backyard, on the stone stairs. Maverick walked along the gravel path, straight for Penny.

"I heard. I'm sorry," Penny stated, "What are you gonna do?"

"Ice is gone. What choice do I have?" Maverick propped his leg against the stone stairs, leaning against it.

"You’ll have to find a way back on your own," Penny stated softly. 

"No, Penny. I’m out. This is over," Pete finally made eye contact with her.